Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #1

Share |

how to lengthen wires

Hello, I'm in the process of planning the move of my breaker box. I am moving closer to service entrance to house, so no problem there. Question is how do I extend the wires that are now to short. Is there a special junction box for this, or do I use many individual junction boxes, or do I not do it? any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

kindejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:26 AM   #2

how to lengthen wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindejj View Post
Hello, I'm in the process of planning the move of my breaker box. I am moving closer to service entrance to house, so no problem there. Question is how do I extend the wires that are now to short. Is there a special junction box for this, or do I use many individual junction boxes, or do I not do it? any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Are you just planning the move or doing it youself? I'm guessing you're planning on DIY since that is the name of the site. How much experience do you have and does your jurisdiction allow you to do this type of work yourself? (service change). I would suggest an electrician do the work, but that's just me.

CheapCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:07 AM   #3
" Euro " electrician

how to lengthen wires

This is in the basement or other area ? that will make the differnce on how we can able assit you on the materal wise.

However the other issue it may arise is your skill level when you move or change the panel { this part you want to check your inspector or city or county officals for latest info to see if they allow homeowner to do this or not }

Expect the power outage about half to full day depending on the set up.

You will have to plan ahead with your POCO and just be aware that you will need permits. The POCO will be happy to disconnect but will not hook it back up until it pass the inspection.

Is your exsting set up do have outside main breaker? If so this will be little easier to deal with it. { you will need 4 conductor cable }

and give us little more infomation on this.

If you are not too confortable with this you can get a electrician to come out and do it for you. { the cost will varies a bit depending on the area and who the electrician you get so if you go this route make sure you get couple bids to make sure the price is pretty much the same }

Oh Ouias { yeah } I almost forgot what size service now you have there?

Merci,
Marc
Old 09-20-2011, 04:14 AM   #4

how to lengthen wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindejj View Post

Thanks
Not enough info.
bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #5

how to lengthen wires

What is the reason for moving the panel?
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #6

how to lengthen wires

Hey guys, sorry for late reply. Been busy. Okay, let me go into detail as there is plenty of interest. First, yes I know the rules on code, but in my county they are VERY lax on this. It is a tiny, tiny (and poor) county (I do not live inside a village, town or city) and there are hardly any local codes. I've already checked into this.

Next, I have already had a disconnect installed on the pole beneath my meter, so when I move the breaker box I can kill the service there, move everything around, and turn it back on without having the utility manually disconnect the wires. When we built our addition I had the utility company come out and help me plan our future service. The problem was the existing meter was mounted on the side of the house where the addition was going. It was pretty cool because the head engineer came out because everyone else was busy that day. He took a look and said would it hurt to leave that meter box there? I said no, it'll be inside a garage and I can build a closet there. He said okay, we'll put a new meter on the pole with a disconnect and then we'll pull the meter from the box on the house and use 2 awg copper sticks to bridge the connections left by the removed meter, then we'll put a cover over the hole on the box left by the removed meter.

Next, the existing panel is in our lower level inside a room that we have plans to finish. Why they installed it in there I will never know because they could have taken it into the utility room, which would have been closer to where the service enters the house. I honestly do not understand the decision process there. (It is technically "deeper" in the house, not on an outside wall, so maybe they didn't want the cost of putting a disconnect outside? IDK) So, when I do this move, and yes it WILL be a DIY project, I will be shortening the service line, meaning I will not be splicing the neutral or either live line.

In regards to level of expertise, I am not an electrician. But with that being said I know enough about residential electric service to be safe and have the project done correctly. I've removed about 10 electric floor heaters, rewired a lot of the house during a whole house remodel including the kitchen, kitchen/bath tile warmers, fridge, electric dryer, wired up the entire addition, wired (and installed) the new central heater and A/C, wired up the whole house water heater. So, as you can see I am not stranger to residential electricy, plus having a father who operates a hydroelectrical dam doesn't hurt either. lol

Okay, so now you know it is DIY, codes have been looked into, service can and will be disconnected, service line will not be "damaged", only shortened, reasoning and general level of expertise.

So my question is the half dozen or so circuit lines that will become too short to reach the new location of the breaker panel. Should I just put in (accessable) junction boxes? What is the (or Is there a) proper procedure for this?
Old 09-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #7

how to lengthen wires

Ah crap, forgot to mention, it's 200 amp service.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

how to lengthen wires

Just use the old panel as a glorified huge junction box. You will habe to gut it of the bus bar, and fill the breaker slots with blanks, or bolt the cover, and if ever needing inside,, you would unscrew the cover screws. When you make the connections, label the romex with what it feeds, and breaker number in new panel (ie. Living rm. Outlets - CB(2)).

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote