DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How to install a wireless security camera

8K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  BIO 
#1 ·
I want to install a wireless IR camera on the front of my house. Since, I said wireless, it should be easy, right? However, it does require a wire to power the camera, via an AC 12VDC adapter. So... it is not really wireless. Can I just drill a hole thru the wall to the outside camera, and run the wire and connector thru the wall, and plug in the wall wart, and be done with it?

Additional info: It will be on the outside wall of a second story bedroom, near an inside recepticle.:eek:

#2 · (Edited)
It is technically incorrect. (Portable power wires including extension cords are not supposed to be "permanently installed" such as being strung through walls or doorways.)

But people do it all the time.

Now you could do it if the wires are "rated" for in wall installation, for example if the camera was meant for outdoor use with the power and video cables meant to be connected to equipment indoors.

#3 ·
Thank You Allanj for your reply. That's what I don't understand, they say it can be used indoor or outdoor, and that it is weather proof. And, they say its wireless. But, when you receive it it comes with a 12v dc wall wart, needed to power it up. I do not think the wall wart is outdoor rated. So it is conflicting information. It has a built in transmitter, so I guess that part is wireless. They sell so many of these like this, I thought someone might have some unknown way of installing it, that I could not come up with. I think the 12v dc voltage is safe enough to run outside, as far as being hurt by electric shock, as long as I have a long enough wire to put a drip loop in it outside, so water cannot run back into house or up to camera.

If anyone else has any Ideas, please respond. I will not be installing it until the weather warms up more.

THANK YOU

#4 ·
I believe that the "by the books" outdoor installation method is to plug the wall wart into an outdoor receptacle with enough protection that rain does not splash all over it.

#6 ·
Thanks Guys for your input. I installed it and it works well. I did it in a way that I believe is safe, maybe not to code. I cannot believe they can adverstise this as a wireless camera, there is no way it will work with out atleast one wire attached to it.

If for some reason I have any problem with this installation, I will report it here.

#7 ·
You don't really expect to have wireless electricity do you? Although, I was looking at the science channel the other day and they are working on exactly that - wireless electricity. I understand your point though, they will advertise completely wireless and always forget to tell you about the power.

#8 ·
Your right of course. But, I thougt maybe they would have a battery inside to power them. But, you still have the age old problem, of batteries not lasting very long. I guess that is main problem they are having trying to run a car on batteries. I know some small camera's run on a 9 volt, but do not last very long. I should have known better, since this camera I am installing is an IR, which takes alot more power.

Anyway, thanks for you input. I have it installed and it is working very well. I am happy with it now.:thumbup:

Now to find a place for my next post, repairing drywall after a house settles.:confused1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.