Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2010, 10:57 PM   #1

Share |

How to install a new T-8 Ballast in a flourescent light T-12 fixture

How to install a new T-8 Ballast in a flourescent light T-12 fixture?
ejkia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

They are expensive but you might want to think about just switching to the new LED tube arrays. Ballasts become irrelevant since they are no longer needed. No buzzing and we may both die before you have to replace the bulbs again.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Follow the wiring diagram on the ballast.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

You will also have to change the "tombstones". T12 tubes are 1.5 inches in diameter, T8 tubes are 1 inch. The pins on the T8's will not fit the old tombstones (white porcelain or plastic terminals that hold the end of the tubes). Unless this is an expensive fixture it is probably cheaper to buy a new fixture.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
You will also have to change the "tombstones". T12 tubes are 1.5 inches in diameter, T8 tubes are 1 inch. The pins on the T8's will not fit the old tombstones (white porcelain or plastic terminals that hold the end of the tubes). Unless this is an expensive fixture it is probably cheaper to buy a new fixture.
the pins are spaced identically so when changing from T12 to T8, you would not need to change the tombstones.

what you need to be aware of is if the tombstones are shunted or not and what your new ballast requires.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

I agree with NAP. I have changed hundreds of t12s to t8s and never had a problem. The pins are the same spacing.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
Inspector/Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
the pins are spaced identically so when changing from T12 to T8, you would not need to change the tombstones.

what you need to be aware of is if the tombstones are shunted or not and what your new ballast requires.
Correct, you will only have problems with the tombstones if you go to the newer T5 lamps.
codeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

The quickest way to tell if you have shunted tombstone is look at the ballast info if it say " Instat start " it will have shunted tombstone while " Rapid Start " useally not shunted unless specficed by ballast manufacter.

Some case you will see a marking " S " on the tombstone as well.

The reason why shunted tombstone due the T-8 filment can burn out early if only one side of tombstone is connected so the shunted is both pin on that end is shunted { tied together most case } it will make the bulb last longer.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #9

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
The quickest way to tell if you have shunted tombstone is look at the ballast info if it say " Instat start " it will have shunted tombstone while " Rapid Start " useally not shunted unless specficed by ballast manufacter.

Some case you will see a marking " S " on the tombstone as well.

The reason why shunted tombstone due the T-8 filment can burn out early if only one side of tombstone is connected so the shunted is both pin on that end is shunted { tied together most case } it will make the bulb last longer.

Merci,Marc
I agree. Most of the new/er ones (T8) are shunted.!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #10

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
I agree with NAP. I have changed hundreds of t12s to t8s and never had a problem. The pins are the same spacing.
I agree with both you and Nap! I also changed "Hundreds?" but a nice amount, and never encountered a problem on converting T12 to T8! But the wiring is different. (On the 2 light 96" . when converting from Magnetic to Electronic ballast)!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:38 PM   #11

I don't see the specifics, my T12 ballast has two yellow, black & white from left side, 2 red and 2 blue on right.

The T8 has one black, white & red on left, and 2 blue on right side of ballast, knowing this, the T8 has less wires, do I put the one red to the existing two red, and what do I do with the 2 yellow wires from lamps?
damons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by damons View Post
I don't see the specifics, my T12 ballast has two yellow, black & white from left side, 2 red and 2 blue on right.

The T8 has one black, white & red on left, and 2 blue on right side of ballast, knowing this, the T8 has less wires, do I put the one red to the existing two red, and what do I do with the 2 yellow wires from lamps?
as has been said several times; you follow the diagram on the ballast.

with yours, the black and white are for the incoming power; black to hot and white to neutral. the single blue would go to both tombstones on one end of the fixture and each red wire would go to only one tombstone on the opposite end of the fixture.

what I have done on fixtures that were a pain in the but to take apart, where there are two wires coming from the same tombstone, you simply connect those together and attach them to the one wire from the ballast that is needed at that tombstone. If you go clear to the terminals and remove the yellow blue or red wires, at any terminal where there was two wires, you would need to install a jumper between the two terminals of that particular tombstone to make it a "shunted" tombstone.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:10 AM   #13

Ok, I took a chance, the black and white where self explanatory. I took the two right blues and wires one side to the two reds of tombstones, the other blue to the two blues of tombstone, then wired two yellows from other side tombstone and attached to ballasts red wire, this should be right? I did turn on and lights work, hopefully were good.
damons is offline   Reply With Quote