Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How important is it for a wine fridge have a "dedicated outlet?"

I am thinking of purchasing a WineKoolr used but after looking at the manual online it states that it must be plugged into a "Dedicated separately fused, grounded, 15 amp 100-120v line." The price I can get this at is awesome, but I live in apartment and am not sure, but think I only have 1 dedicated line at all, for the fridge. The previous owners said they just had it plugged into a normal outlet fine, but I want to know if it is a serious issue to do this? I really want a nice cooler for my beer cellar since I have no actual basement, so I am really hoping I can make this work in my home. Thanks for any help!

*Someone asked me on another forum what breakers I have for where I want to install it, and its in my second bedroom. The breaker for those outlets is a 15A. They also said that it probably says that in the manual to cover themselves legally but I should likely be just fine.

Well I turned off the breakers until I found which was for the outlets in the spare room. As far as I can tell, the only things on this circuit are the spare bedroom outlets (not the lights), and 1 outlet in the hallway. Nothing is plugged into any of these and its a 20A circuit.

Last edited by Dontcounttoday; 04-22-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Dontcounttoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Being in a rented property you can only do what the landlord will allow. Trace out how many outlets are on one circuit by using a table lamp. Find a circuit where it may fit that does not have any appliances on it and remember to not plug a big vac sweeper or other large appliance in to those outlets. The circuits breaker will let you know shortly whether it will handle the cooler or not..

I would plug a digital clock or something with low power demand in to the coolers same outlet and set it on or around, the cooler to show you if the coolers power is off. A few hours of off time from a tripped breaker wont matter, more down time than that will be warm wine. jmo

Last edited by Jeeps; 04-22-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,036

It probably draws close to 15 amps for a moment each time the cooling starts up. This will trip the breaker if there is a reasonable amount of other load on the circuit turned on.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
It probably draws close to 15 amps for a moment each time the cooling starts up. This will trip the breaker if there is a reasonable amount of other load on the circuit turned on.
I just checked and its a 20A circuit with absolutely nothing else plugged into any outlets. I think now that it will be fine.
Dontcounttoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

only catch is that by using a non-dedicated outlet, you may have a warranty claim issue if a problem comes up. me personally? i would just plug the damn thing in.
itsnotrequired is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to itsnotrequired For This Useful Post:
J. V. (04-23-2012)