Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #1

Share |
Question

how to hook up computer fan with fan speed control to cell phone charger

im going to be using a gelid wing 8, 12 volt computer fan as a exhaust fan for a kids outdoor playhouse. i know how to hook the fan straight to the 12 volt cell phone charger, but not with the fan speed control that it comes with. here are the color codes of the fan . the fan itself has a red,yellow. and a black wire. that connects into the fan speed control. at the fan speed control it has black, red,yellow.yellow,red.and grey going into the speed control. on the other end of the fan speed control it has a three prong female adaptor where you are suppose to run ever thing to. the color of the three wires at the end of the fan speed control with the three prong female plug in, are adaptor, not sure whats its called has a yellow,red and grey wire. how can i connect this to the two wires on the cell phone charger so that the fan speed control works?

aftermath431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #2

Trial and error....and it's unlikely the charger has the ampacity to power the fan very long...if at all. Is this a "fun" experiment, because it's not large enough to do anything but spin in anything larger than a tower cabinet. Unless the outdoor playhouse is the size of a picnic basket this really has no potential.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
liscenced electrician

Youre going to have to find out how the fan controller is wired up. I don't think anyone on here will know off hand how it is wired up. The fan itself uses red and black. The yellow isn't used. It is used to tell the computer how fast the fan is spinning. I would suggest just wiring the fan without the fan controller and see if the project will even pan out
jimmy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy21 View Post
Youre going to have to find out how the fan controller is wired up. I don't think anyone on here will know off hand how it is wired up. The fan itself uses red and black. The yellow isn't used. It is used to tell the computer how fast the fan is spinning. I would suggest just wiring the fan without the fan controller and see if the project will even pan out
thanks i wasn't sure about the yellow. i got the idea from online other people using computer fans for things like grow... rooms, and also sheds. its not to cool down the hole playhouse its just up near a top vent to help get some of the heat out. wish I could figure out how to get the speed control to work with the cell phone charger. to make it more confusing im getting a 12 volt Temperature Control Thermostat so it only turns on when it gets hot. maybe above 80 degress. yea now im really confused. one wire i cant figure out how to get the fan speed control to work.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
Licensed Electrician

How much air do you expect to move with a 5" fan? You'd probably move more air cutting in a roof vent or two.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
stickboy1375 (07-10-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #6

It's not going to do anything....period. Grow rooms, outdoor sheds?? I'm sure someone must have installed them...but they do nothing. It's a waste of time. Now if you could install 10 of them, you may notice a difference....just maybe.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
liscenced electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
It's not going to do anything....period. Grow rooms, outdoor sheds?? I'm sure someone must have installed them...but they do nothing. It's a waste of time. Now if you could install 10 of them, you may notice a difference....just maybe.
depends how big this playhouse is. Some playhouses about about 6 sq/ft with 4 foot ceilings. A computer fan would probably work just fine
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmy21 For This Useful Post:
LooseSCruz (07-10-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #8

I would pick up something like a 200MM 12V fan. Would move much more air.

a cell phone charger should provide more than enough amperage to run a fan. An Iphone charger puts out 1A @ 12V, Most you'll see out of a fan would probable be around .2 A. The cell phone charger will list what kind of amperage it is rated to supply. All you'll really need to do is isolate the 12V on the charger and hook it up to the fan.
Protocol. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protocol. View Post
I would pick up something like a 200MM 12V fan. Would move much more air.

a cell phone charger should provide more than enough amperage to run a fan. An Iphone charger puts out 1A @ 12V, Most you'll see out of a fan would probable be around .2 A. The cell phone charger will list what kind of amperage it is rated to supply. All you'll really need to do is isolate the 12V on the charger and hook it up to the fan.
1A? Sure it's not .1A? I've looked at my chargers and that's all they've got.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
1A? Sure it's not .1A? I've looked at my chargers and that's all they've got.
Iphones will draw 1 amp. Ipad chargers are rated for 2.1 amps. Now they only put out 5 V, but if he hooked it up, the fan would just run slower.
Protocol. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protocol. View Post
Iphones will draw 1 amp. Ipad chargers are rated for 2.1 amps. Now they only put out 5 V, but if he hooked it up, the fan would just run slower.
Amazing. My cell phone doesn't require that. Now that you mention it, what cell charger does put out 12V?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #12
liscenced electrician

You should be able to look around and find any old transformer off an old printer or video game console or something. Majority are 12v. You should be able to find one that is close to 1 amp.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:21 AM   #13

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath431 View Post
im going to be using a gelid wing 8, 12 volt computer fan as a exhaust fan for a kids outdoor playhouse. i know how to hook the fan straight to the 12 volt cell phone charger, but not with the fan speed control that it comes with. here are the color codes of the fan . the fan itself has a red,yellow. and a black wire. that connects into the fan speed control. at the fan speed control it has black, red,yellow.yellow,red.and grey going into the speed control. on the other end of the fan speed control it has a three prong female adaptor where you are suppose to run ever thing to. the color of the three wires at the end of the fan speed control with the three prong female plug in, are adaptor, not sure whats its called has a yellow,red and grey wire. how can i connect this to the two wires on the cell phone charger so that the fan speed control works?
what about the fan speed control. is there any way to hook that up so it works? the playhouse is only 4x8 foot.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:31 AM   #14

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath431 View Post
it says on it input-120vac, 60hz, 19w. output- 12vdc, 1A .