Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2010, 03:22 AM   #1
tdl

Rewards Points: 10

how to hide wires from wall mounted tv

how can i hide or cover the wires from my wall mounted plasma tv i have mounted over my fireplace? the area above the fireplace is brick which presents a bigger problem. i can go about a foot to the side on the brick and then along the brick down to the floor along the drywall. any suggestions on products out there that will do this?

tdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 564

Wiremold is what I use when it is acceptable to the client. They make a 2 piece plastic wireway I think it's called Basetrack.

bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I did this by installing a clock outlet so it would be behind the tv. these outlets are recessed and allow room for the plug.

i then installed an open audio/video outlet up high behind the tv and also down low behind my entertainment center.
looks kind of like this one....

one thing i should mention, if running hdmi cables or audio cables in the wall, they should be listed for in wall use.
moopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I have done many 'in-wall' and 'hidden' entertainment setups, but you are looking for a solution for a brick fireplace.

I did one where I cut/routed out the mortar in between the bricks to get to the outer edge of the fireplace, installed the cabling from the back of a wiremold box into the joints in the brick (you will need to route out more than one brick line, one for power, one for signal wires) and followed the brick line to the fireplace edge. Then I installed a corner raceway from underneath the mantel top, along the wall to the floor.
http://cableorganizer.com/surface-ra...ornerduct.html

The raceway can be painted to match the wall and looks like crown molding. I used mortar patch to go over the cabling that ran along the brick line - you cannot see the difference!

Sorry I don't have a picture or diagram to show you, hopefully you can visualize what I am saying.
ControlTech is offline   Reply With Quote