Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to ground a weather station

Hi folks

I really need some help here. I'm installing a weather station for a local elementary school on my roof that the kids will be able to access over the Internet. Becuase I'm paying for this out of my pocket my budget is very limited and evey electrician I talk to wants to charge me an arm and leg.

I have a weatherhawk weather station that I'll be mounting on my home roof but it's asking to earth ground the station. What is the best practice for grounding it?

Your help is very much appreciated

icontractor82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,916

An electrician or radio guru will be right along----In the mean time--Is there a link to the product and a spec sheet available?

That would help an electrician figure out the best and simples way to DIY that---Mike----

Old 03-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Depending on were you live, Eg. Florida has a very high incident of lighting, you may not. I would try to mount it on a pole away from your house and then ground it according to the local rules. If you need further information you can find it on Google. What does the weather station consist of?
wareagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #4

Hi guys

The weather station I have is the following

http://weatherhawk.com/s240w

It is on a 4 foot metal pole. Becuase of obstacles I have to mount this on my roof. The manual says to consult with an electrical on proper grounding. It gives no information on how to ground it. I've been told that I can run an 10 awg wire to my water meter. Can this be done?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

Forget about google, only way that you will find out, is either contact your local NOAA office, the Coast Guard, which can explain better to you on proper installation. To make things easy, do not ground to your water meter, since it violates the proper method of guarding against possible electrocution, or travel of electrical charge to the house.

The proper info is contained in the NEC, and also your local code office can tell you the proper method for your area in grounding to Earth Ground. What is earth ground, it is a ground rod, Ufer type ground.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #6

Well I know that my electrical panel and house electricity is grounded to my water meter but it's inside my home. Do I still need to ground this to a grounding rod or is there another way...
Old 03-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by icontractor82 View Post
Well I know that my electrical panel and house electricity is grounded to my water meter but it's inside my home. Do I still need to ground this to a grounding rod or is there another way...
Most case it will be direct to your ground rod and #10 is IMO is too small in most case so #6 will handle it but before you do anything run this by electrical inspector or other proper personal with the correct infomation to do this.

Gregzoll have good answer there and do as he mention plus my comment above before you do anything else check with them first to see excatally what the requirement.

Merci,
Marc
Old 03-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,014

Quote:
Grounding for the weather station is for lightning and static protection, rather than protection from faults (bonding). You will not be able to provide adequate grounding to protect against a direct lightning strike. Instead, you will be protecting against nearby strikes and atmospheric charge (St. Elmo's fire, in the extreme). However, it may get struck by lightning. So you want your grounding solution to pose the least hazard in case this happens. A separate ground rod is probably the most reasonable way to achieve this. This is NOT a supplemental grounding electrode for the purposes of your home's electrical system. You CANNOT use it to "ground" anything other than this weather station, and you cannot rely on it to protect you from ground faults or other sources of electric shock. It's only purpose is to drain atmospheric charge from the metal pole on your roof and keep it at close to the same potential as the earth in case of a nearby lightning strike. Make sure all of the electronic equipment that connects to the weather station is properly grounded (NOT to the new ground rod), and preferably has lightning suppression on the lines that run to the rooftop equipment. Following amateur radio practices for lightning protection would be wise. There is a lot of information on the web about amateur radio antenna installation, almost all of which is applicable to your project.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #9

http://weatherhawk.com/documents/sit...tion-guide.pdf

Page 14 of the installation give you instructions. It will usually involve a down conductor connected to the mast down to a ground rod. The NEC will require that you bond this to your home grounding system. You would be better to get someone knowledgeable to assist you. Check with your local inspection people for assistance.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Are you going to be running a server for this or allow access through your router Via IPsec tunnel?
On air it says it's good for 1/4 mile wow, I didn't realise how much loot these things cost.
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle View Post
The NEC will require that you bond this to your home grounding system.
Really? I didn't think lightning protection electrodes were required (or ever intended!) to be bonded to the grounding electrode system. That sounds like a bad idea.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #12
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,108

Quote:
I really need some help here. I'm installing a weather station for a local elementary school on my roof that the kids will be able to access over the Internet. Becuase I'm paying for this out of my pocket my budget is very limited and evey electrician I talk to wants to charge me a service call fee to come out and do the job properly and safely.
There. I fixed it for you.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
There. I fixed it for you.
The nerve of those guys charging for their services and knowledge.
Speedy Petey (03-25-2012)
Old 03-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 252

read art.810.820,250.50.these relate to antennas and masts.altho these art's are for catv and radio,i think they apply to this situation..
oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #15

icontractor 82 where are you located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
Really? I didn't think lightning protection electrodes were required (or ever intended!) to be bonded to the grounding electrode system. That sounds like a bad idea.
MP
I tend to agree with you but the reason for the bonding is to prevent "side flashing" or arcing to other parts of the grounding system. This is one
reason I suggested to the OP that he might want to install the device on a pole located away from the house. He would then need only to drive a ground rod and install the conductor from the rod to his weather device.

From a Code standpoint, the NEC has been relatively silent on the Code requirements that relate to lightning protection systems; however, the NEC requirements (Sections 250.60 and 250.106) cover the materials and bonding of the electrode of a power distribution system to the ground terminal of a lightning protection system on the same structure.

Quote"Where a lightning protection system is installed, it must be bonded to the building or structure grounding electrode system as per 250.106. In addition, the grounding electrode for the lightning protection system cannot be used for the building or structure grounding electrode [250.60].
Note: The bonding of the lightning protection system to the buildings or structures electrical system, via the grounding electrode system, is intended to prevent lightning "side flash" or arcing between metal parts, which can result in a fire by minimizing the difference of potential between the lightning protection system and the electrical system
." taken form another site.

MP this is some good information you may want to check out
http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_lhm/IEEE_Guide.pdf

The Following User Says Thank You to wareagle For This Useful Post:
mpoulton (03-25-2012)