Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fredericton, Canada
Posts: 140
Share |
Default

How to get a switch to power ON/OFF a standing lamp?


Hi,

here's the situation:

Living room, no ceiling lamp, but I placed in a corner a nice standing lamp with its own dimmer.

The problem:
In the room there's only a switch that power ON/OFF two of the 6 receptacles in the room, unfortunately, none of the two is the one the standing lamp is plugged in.

This is what I want to achieve:
Power ON/OFF and dim the standing lamp from a wall switch.

Now, I know that in Canada you cannot dim anything which is not hard wired, you can only switch it ON/OFF.

Questions 1:
How about those switches that have both, dimmer and switch incorporated?

I know that dimmer may be difficult to achieve, but at least the switch should be possible.

To simplify, I am ready to go for a wireless switch, but I am not sure which one could help.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks
Alex

Metallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cairns Australia
Posts: 2,364
Default

How to get a switch to power ON/OFF a standing lamp?


You should think about installing a dimmer plate,
which is wired to a special purpose outlet,
The lamp would need to be ftted with a special purpose plug,
This way nothing else except the lamp could be plugged in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallo View Post
Hi,

here's the situation:

Living room, no ceiling lamp, but I placed in a corner a nice standing lamp with its own dimmer.

The problem:
In the room there's only a switch that power ON/OFF two of the 6 receptacles in the room, unfortunately, none of the two is the one the standing lamp is plugged in.

This is what I want to achieve:
Power ON/OFF and dim the standing lamp from a wall switch.

Now, I know that in Canada you cannot dim anything which is not hard wired, you can only switch it ON/OFF.

Questions 1:
How about those switches that have both, dimmer and switch incorporated?

I know that dimmer may be difficult to achieve, but at least the switch should be possible.

To simplify, I am ready to go for a wireless switch, but I am not sure which one could help.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks
Alex

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fredericton, Canada
Posts: 140
Default

How to get a switch to power ON/OFF a standing lamp?


Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
You should think about installing a dimmer plate,
which is wired to a special purpose outlet,
The lamp would need to be ftted with a special purpose plug,
This way nothing else except the lamp could be plugged in.
That's interesting, nobody told me that so far
Can you point me to a URL I can see more? It is not easy to find it in Google, too many meanings for "dimmer plate".

So, basically I need to wire it to the switch, which is the major problem, the standing lamp and the switch are opposite to each other in the room

Thank you!
Alex
Metallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 44
Default

How to get a switch to power ON/OFF a standing lamp?


You could a home automation system such as X10/insteon/zwave/etc. Plug the lamp into a lamp module and get a special switch that can send power and dimming commands to it.
thadsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Springfield OH
Posts: 767
Default

How to get a switch to power ON/OFF a standing lamp?


Quote:
You could a home automation system such as X10/insteon/zwave/etc. Plug the lamp into a lamp module and get a special switch that can send power and dimming commands to it.
This is also my suggestion (I use insteon.) In a couple of cases, I have replaced the wall switch with an insteon version, and use it to control several lamps via plug-in module, including dimming. Works great!
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 594
Default

How to get a switch to power ON/OFF a standing lamp?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallo View Post
Now, I know that in Canada you cannot dim anything which is not hard wired, you can only switch it ON/OFF.
What do you mean? A portable luminaire can't have a dimmer feature installed on it?
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 44
Default

How to get a switch to power ON/OFF a standing lamp?


Quote:
Originally Posted by operagost View Post
What do you mean? A portable luminaire can't have a dimmer feature installed on it?
I think the OP means that a switched outlet is not supposed to be controlled by a dimmer switch.
thadsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
Member
 
joed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 7,374
Default

How to get a switch to power ON/OFF a standing lamp?


Yes, switched receptacle is not to be dimmed. I don't know about the special plug thing.
The question is wether the receptacle in question can be easily switched. That depends on how it's wired. You might have to switch the whole thing insted of just the normal half switched. To know for sure the receptacle will need to be opened and the wiring checked. It might be possible with the existing cables or new cabling might be required.
__________________
Do not PM with questions that can be asked in a forum. I will not respond.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cairns Australia
Posts: 2,364
Default

How to get a switch to power ON/OFF a standing lamp?


If you want to control the lamp from the other side of the room,
Then you will have to either run a cable or use an extension lead,
Wireless remote dimmers are also another option.
provided there is a outlet near by.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallo View Post
That's interesting, nobody told me that so far
Can you point me to a URL I can see more? It is not easy to find it in Google, too many meanings for "dimmer plate".

So, basically I need to wire it to the switch, which is the major problem, the standing lamp and the switch are opposite to each other in the room

Thank you!
Alex

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wiring in a 4-way Switch RickSene Electrical 5 04-09-2013 07:25 PM
can switch work for two different outlets? jlmran Electrical 8 02-10-2011 12:31 PM
Help with Two Switches & Two Lights simplyphp Electrical 36 11-25-2010 02:47 PM
can a power surge flip a light switch? bluebee1314 Electrical 9 07-13-2009 02:33 AM
Power disconnect switch lmanwarren Electrical 1 03-28-2006 03:17 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.