Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #1

Share |

how to get power to lamp post from basement

my whole house is on a level grade... only about 2 layers of 8" block goes above the grade before the first floor decking... I need to get a line from the "outside" power loop, which lights up all the outside lighting on the house out to a new lamp post... where would you guys run the line if you where doing this?

1) go through the block and run PVC conduit
2) go through the rim joist and run a PVC conduit

I need to get about 20 ft in a straight line from the house to where its going, plan was to run conduit ~18" deep then use TWHN wire (White, Black and Green) to the lamp in the conduit, the lamp base would be concrete with conduit in the center of it.. thats the easy part...

how to get the line into the house is where I am stuck on the best method

the house is Vinyal sided, the block foundation is not veneered or anything else yet

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Go through the Rim joist, then drop the conduit on the outside wall aprx 18" into the trench in the ground, then run out to the light post. If you run the conduit all the way out to the light, you can use THHN, other wise if you only drop the conduit 18" into the ground then run UF out of the conduit to the post. It is hard to pull UF for that short of distance in the conduit, but you can use a pull end like this http://www.lowes.com/pd_54790-15527-...r|1&facetInfo= to help feed into the wall, so you can finish the run with NM Romex in a junction box on the other side.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Although many THHN is dual rated THHN/THWN it needs to have a W in the rating for use outdoors and underground.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #4

what about a photocell? the lamp post I am getting doesn't have a hole in it for one already, not sure if I could fit one on it or not? if not, where would you go about putting one? just put a 1 gang box where the conduit came out of the rim joist, then put a photo cell on it? I don't want this stuff to be too obvious
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

You could drill a hole in the lamp post.

Mounting the photocell close to the ground may result in it coming on sooner due to shadows from bushes etc.