How To Fix Broken Rechargeable Spotlight - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2010, 12:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

How to fix broken rechargeable spotlight

This is a cheap Radioshack spotlight I got several years ago. Forgot about it and haven't touched it. Now it completed quit.

How do I go about fixing it ? See diagram. I took the whole thing out and that's how it looks like. There are 3 free wires in the photo. The red and black connect to the red and black terminals on battery. The other free one with the screw is probably the ground, it was attached to the metal casing inside the light socket.

The left most dangler is where you plug in the A/C charger. When I connect the charger to it the LED light (on top) lights up, indicating charging. The middle switch with the spring turns on the off the light.

I didn't open this battery like I would have done with laptop battery since it says "Lead Acid Battery" so I assume it's toxic.

Could it be the light bulb or battery and how do I test it ? Can I test the battery with a normal electrical circuit tester or how do I make a bulb to test it ?
Attached Thumbnails
How to fix broken rechargeable spotlight-dsc01299_2.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by timcsi; 01-15-2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Forgot to attach photo
timcsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

The battery is most likely dead
I have one & the battery is dead, local stores a new battery for mine is $15

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

Dave is right about the battery, they are crap. Understand the people who come up with the idea of these "Fantastic" flashlight ideas shop around for the cheapest components to make them out of. The little electronic board you have with the red LED light and the resistors is your battery charger, they are junk also. These go bad and usually the red LED will blink fast. I have a one-million (1,000,000) candle-power unit my sister gave me which was wonderful when it was working. Then it went into the blinking mode when I tried to charge it. My battery was actually still good, the charger system was bad. I just by-passed the charger system, found me a cheap 2-amp charger to slow charge the battery. I had to use ingenuity to hook up this charger with the battery still in the case, but it works. Just my 2˘ worth, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

How do I test to see if this battery is still good or not ? Where do I get the 2mp charger ?
timcsi is offline   Reply With Quote