Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #1

Share |

How to find doorbell transformer

My house was built in 1970. I have a front and back doorbell and neither one works. I replaced the doorbell button on the front but it still does not work.
I never considered a 40 year old home that old, but the more projects I get into, the more I realize this isn't always true.
I have no idea where to begin looking for the transformer box. Can you please give me some suggestions?
My husband died several years ago and I do just about all of my own home maintenance because I cannot afford to hire out but it's extremely important to me that it be done correctly.

Thanks,

lachp

lachp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Tileguy

Years ago you could expect those things to turn up almost anywhere and even be buried in the walls somewhere in some cases. Typically they are in or around the electric panel. I have also seen them high on the wall of a closet near the front door, have no idea why that was thought to be a good idea.

Do you know what they look like?

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mine is right next to my electrical panel.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CoconutPete For This Useful Post:
lachp (11-03-2011)
Old 11-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Years ago you could expect those things to turn up almost anywhere and even be buried in the walls somewhere in some cases. Typically they are in or around the electric panel. I have also seen them high on the wall of a closet near the front door, have no idea why that was thought to be a good idea.

Do you know what they look like?
I usually watch videos on websites like Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, You Tube, etc., so I've seen what they show which are newer models certainly, should I expect to find something similar?
Old 11-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
My electrical panel is a joke. I really need to have a whole new breaker box put in which is top of my list when the $$ is there.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
I usually watch videos on websites like Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, You Tube, etc., so I've seen what they show which are newer models certainly, should I expect to find something similar?
As far as I have ever seen they are all basically the same. Some are painted black some are painted grey some are plain metal finish. They should be associated with a junction box of sorts but there again not always. They will have two wires of typical house wiring attached maybe 14 gauge maybe 12 gauge. They will also have two much smaller wires attached, normally 18 gauge.

Here's some pictures of the late model types but the older ones look a little different, just depends on how old they are.
http://www.google.com/#q=doorbell+tr...w=1280&bih=737
Old 11-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
Thought I posted a reply but don't see it so I'll try again. Thanks for quick reply but my electrical system is a mess. I need to have a new circuit breaker box installed as soon as the $$$ is available.

lachp
Old 11-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #8

Quote:
As far as I have ever seen they are all basically the same. Some are painted black some are painted grey some are plain metal finish. They should be associated with a junction box of sorts but there again not always. They will have two wires of typical house wiring attached maybe 14 gauge maybe 12 gauge. They will also have two much smaller wires attached, normally 18 gauge.

Here's some pictures of the late model types but the older ones look a little different, just depends on how old they are.
Thanks a million!!
Old 11-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:

Great pic's. Thanks again.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #10

If you don't find it fastened to or near the electrical panel, and if you have a single story home, start with the area of the attic directly over the location of the buzzer. You will probably find that the wires to the buzzer go straight up the wall, to the attic, and if you can locate the low voltage wires, they should lead you to the transformer, which probably won't be far away.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

It can be inside the panel, on the panel, somewhere up in the joist bay of the basement if you have one, inside a blank on the wall. Also have seen people put them up in the attic. Also start shutting off circuit breakers one at a time. When the doorbell no longer makes a sound, you know which circuit to look on.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 11-03-2011 at 04:20 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #12

Poke your head inside each closet, then turn around and look above the door.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
liscenced electrician

its one of those things that could be anywhere. I mounted mine in a spot in my attic that i thought would be fairly obvious and easy to get to, but most people don't think of the next owners. At my old house i found it underneath a floor board in the attic

Your best bet is probably just to get a wireless setup
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #14

What color & size will the wires be? I found what appears to be a transformer with very thin wires, from 4 sources. Each has a green, red, yellow and black wire. It's in my furnace room which is just about the central location of both doorbells. They are all grounded together on my hot water heater.
As I stated in my original post, I have a raised ranch. My garage is under my living room with a door into my finished basement. It's hard to tell where all the wires go exactly, but would there be use for one in my garage? I have a garage door opener (w/remote) with a light.
Can you give me your thoughts please?
Thanks again,
Pam
Old 11-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
Tileguy

Quote:
It's in my furnace room
Don't mess with that one just yet.

What type of thermostat do you have for your heat system?

How about some pictures? Got a digital camera?