DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How is electrical inspector doing the inspection...

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  joed 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I finally close to finish wiring my basement... now I am about to invite the inspector to inspect.. the first thing I discover is they charge a lot... this is quite different from the experience from the non-electrical inspection.. for that they charge a flat fee and unlimited visits...

anyhow, can anyone enlightened me what would a electrical inspector do?

like would they ask you to open up a electrical device box and see how you connect the wire?

or would they have those high tech equipments see all your ground connections are connected properly, as well as hot and neutral wire...etc.

or they just do a 5 minutes visual looks around the house and rush out to the coffee shop to continue to enjoy their coffee...etc..

could anyone who have experience or even been an inspector before share some knowledge here to reduce my frighteness of calling for an inspection....

See less See more
#3 ·
Electrical inspections are usually two parts.
1. The rough inspection. This happens before you put the drywall up. The inspector wants to see all the wires in the wall, how they are routed, if they are stapled properly, If they are the correct size, if you have the receptacles in the correct places etc.
2. The final inspection after all the devices installed.

I have heard of rare case where they made people tear the walls out to see the wires when a rough inspection was skipped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.