DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How do i take a power outlet off of a controll switch

11K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  pyper 
#1 ·
I have a power outlet that is controlled by a toggle light switch. I would like the outlet to always be hot and not be controlled by a switch. What should I do?

#2 ·
Depends on how it is wired.
One way it to take the wires off the switch and wire nut them together.
The other way is to open the receptacle, and remove the switch leg.
Let us know what wires are connected where and you will get a detailed explanation.

#4 · (Edited)
Sorry I have been away. The receptacle is an older one, in a house from the 1940's or so. There are two wires connected to it. A white wire screwed down to on one side of the receptacle and a white and black wire screwed to the other side. below is a diagram of where the wires are connected to the receptacle.

..............outlet.....{ || } <white wire
Black & white wire> { || }

unplugging either wire makes the outlet not work. so I am guessing it is a matter of where the wires are screwed into the receptacle, and it might take some trail and error to figure out. Let me know what you think.

#5 ·
You can also buy a plastic piece that screws over top of the switch. So you either put the switch in the on or off position as you desire, and then cover it with this piece of plastic. It keeps anyone from switching it and also leaves it in place in case you change your mind.

#7 ·
You will need to describe all the wires that come into the switch box, preferably wiht a picture.

Also describe all the wires that come into the light fixture box.

#8 ·
The box with the switch probably has one pair of wires (B&W) coming in with power, and two pairs going out, one to the light and one to the outlet.

What you need to do is connect the power wire to the outlet directly, instead of through the switch. You're probably going to need a few short pieces of wire and some wire nuts.

The picture of the wires at the swich that Alan mentions would help enormously.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.