How Do I Make The Last Outlet Switched? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

how do I make the last outlet switched?

I have a wiring question. I have a switch that has a standard 14/2 power coming in with 14/3 (red, white black, ground) going to a series of outlets, 4 outlets in total and all of the wires going to the 4 outlets are 14/3. The switch controlled only the last outlet( for lamps). I had to replace the switch and I want the same set up but I cannot seem to wire this right. I want outlet 1,2 and 3 hot and #4 switched. I have tried every scenario but the right one! Suggestions?

Advertisement

dancram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Perhaps a dumb question, but what wires were connected to the old switch? Were there two connections on the old switch? How many connections on new switch?

Were there "wire nuts" (plastic colored caps) connecting the other wires? Were these wire nuts removed form the other wires?

FYI - For the future, it is a good idea to label wires before removing them from something and to also take a picture before disconnecting any wires.

Advertisement

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

If power is fed to the switch box, use the red wire for the switched receptacle. Your incoming black will have a pigtail and a black from the 14-3 nutted to it. Connect the pigtail to the switch. Connect the red from the 14-3 to the other switch lug. You will pass the red wire through all the boxes and connect it to the last receptacle.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Were the black and red wires attached to the old receptacle and the switch only controlled half the duplex receptacle-top or bottom only?
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,546

Was both the top and bottom switched? If not then did you break the tab between the top and bottom on the hot side.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
Perhaps a dumb question, but what wires were connected to the old switch? Were there two connections on the old switch? How many connections on new switch?

Were there "wire nuts" (plastic colored caps) connecting the other wires? Were these wire nuts removed form the other wires?

FYI - For the future, it is a good idea to label wires before removing them from something and to also take a picture before disconnecting any wires.
Alternatively, in place of taking notes if not readily available, grab a point and shoot camera, or an slr if you're wanting to overcompensate as I might do on occasion, and snap a photo or two before you un-wire everything. That way, even if you take notes, you also have a visual reference to aid you as well. I can say for a fact that I've taken notes, done drawings, and gotten very confused- and I draw out plans for a living, having recently gotten out of architecture school. Visual references are awesome!

Now onto a potential problem solve, unscrew the switched outlet and look at what color wires go to it. A neutral (white, normally), ground (bare or green) and then the black or red. My guess would be that the rest of the outlets are on the opposite color (go ahead and check). As to how the switch is wired, you have one end of the 14/3 and the incoming hot line. The inc. hot needs to be pigtailed to one pole on the switch (it doesn't matter which one) and the color that goes to the switched outlet, on the other pole. Presto, you should have a switched outlet. My apologies if this was covered already, I'm exhausted and may not be reading straight .

Edit, based on extra info:

If you have already removed and altered everything to the point that you don't know what went where, then do this:
Take the incoming 14/2 and pigtail the black to the black and the red on the 14/3. Then run one color (I prefer black for plugs) of the 14/3 and run it to all the plugs you wish to have a constant on, and the alternate color to one pole of the switch. You should then have every plug going off the 14/3 (with every plug being pigtailed and having a black, white and ground attached at each plug, assuming you chose black) and the red just continues on through the line to the plug that is switch controlled and that plug is red and white and ground. Should be simple enough Good luck.

Advertisement

Last edited by scyarch; 10-26-2011 at 10:35 PM.
scyarch is offline   Reply With Quote