Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #1

Share |

How do i install a second light...?

I have an existing exterior light which is controlled by a simple indoor on/off switch. I want to install further away a second light which will be controlled by a motion detector, and I want to connect myself to the first light. How do I complete the wiring so that even when power to the first light is off, I have power to the second light at all times? Can I get a diagram with the explanation? Thanks!
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe View Post
I have an existing exterior light which is controlled by a simple indoor on/off switch. I want to install further away a second light which will be controlled by a motion detector, and I want to connect myself to the first light. How do I complete the wiring so that even when power to the first light is off, I have power to the second light at all times? Can I get a diagram with the explanation? Thanks!
Very simple from the switch to the first luminaire you can change from XX-2 to XX-3 so the black is constant hot the red one is switched so you can able wired like that way however the issue is the switch location to the luminarie if very close it may be not too bad to fish in new wire.

What kind of structure your place is now ?? wood or brick or what ??

Once we get couple basic question answered then we can go from there.

Merci,
Marc
Old 06-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #3

You need to find out where the power comes in, which may be either the original switch or the original light.

Run the new cable from the power location to the new motion detector and continue the new cable from the motion detector to the second light.

Use the same size (12 gauge or 14 gauge) for the new cable as are the existing cables.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe View Post
If this will be a motion detector with no switching relation to the first light then why are you intent on using that as your feed??

Just find a constant feed (a lighting circuit is best since there are restrictions on many receptacle circuits) and run it to the MD light. Wire it up in a typical fashion. The unit will likely have basic instructions.

Sorry, I don't do hand-holding wire-for-wire diagrams. I feel if you need that you shouldn't be doing the job. Knowing what wires to connect to where is the easy part. There are a lot of other codes to consider as well.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #5

If you have power coming into the existing light fixture location:

In this setup you would have to hope that you have 3 conductor cable from the existing light to the switch location. If not you would have to use the existing 2 conductor cable to pull a 3 conductor cable.
Attached Thumbnails
How do i install a second light...?-powr-light-switch-then-2nd-light-always-.jpg  

Last edited by hammerlane; 06-17-2012 at 10:55 AM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #6

If you have power coming into the switch location:
Attached Thumbnails
How do i install a second light...?-power-switch-2-lites-one-light-always-.jpg  
Old 06-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #7

Heres another way where power is supplied at switch and you pick up power for the motion controlled light from the location of the existing light. In this way you will need a 3-conductor cable w/ground from the switch location to the existing light location. Chances are now you only have a 2 conductor cable w/ground going from switch location to the existing light location. So you would need to pull a new 3-cond cable.

In all my diagrams I do not show the ground wire just for ease of drawing.
Attached Thumbnails
How do i install a second light...?-power-switch-2-lites-one-light-always-1.jpg  
Old 06-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
Licensed Electrical Cont.

It is incredibly nice of you Hammerlane do make up those diagrams. I just hope now that the OP knows what wire to connect to what he knows all the other wiring codes to do this job legally and safely.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
It is incredibly nice of you Hammerlane do make up those diagrams. I just hope now that the OP knows what wire to connect to what he knows all the other wiring codes to do this job legally and safely.

I have a lot of these type diagrams made up in a folder for different situations. Some I have to tweek by adding or subtracting something.

I agree that hopefully the poster can identify which wires are his hot and or travelers
Old 06-18-2012, 05:26 AM   #10

Wow, thank you very much! Especially for the diagrams that are very clear!
Thanks again.
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote