Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #1

Share |

How do I hardwire my transformer (power) for my wireless security system?

I have a security system panel that I would like to hardwire. Is there a simple way to accomplish this?

It looks like the house is already wired for a security system but the panels I removed did not light up when any buttons were pressed. My assumptions on the old system based on what I saw when I removed it from the wall: it was not wireless and used wires similar to a regular telephone? I am not sure.

I have attached pictures below to show what I am dealing with.

I also have a main panel in another room that has all of my cable tv wiring and I believe the wiring for the old security system.

Basically all I want to do is install the security panel on the wall without having the plug the transformer into an outlet, so power to the new system is all I care about.

Old Security system still connected (does not light up)

New fully functional system (temporary home)

Transformer

Close up of existing wiring.

Kid Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Field Service

Your home mains voltage is 120/240 VAC and your alarm panel likely takes somewhere around 18VAC. Therein lies the need for a transformer (you cannot hardwire that panel straight to your line voltage!)

The old security system pic looks like a keypad only. The keypads use 12VDC power that is fed from the main alarm panel elsewhere in the home. The main panel for these systems has a transformer that plugs into an outlet as well.

The transformer for these systems is not made to be hardwired; is there a particular reason you can't just plug it in?

Last edited by diystephen; 10-05-2013 at 01:04 PM.
diystephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #3

the transformer says its 9VAC 25VA.

But to answer your question, I want to hardwire it for cosmetics. The outlet is right out in the open and I do not want a large transformer sticking 3 inches out from the wall.

Is there a solution at the main panel that may work? What should I look for?
Kid Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Field Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Quick View Post
the transformer says its 9VAC 25VA.

But to answer your question, I want to hardwire it for cosmetics. The outlet is right out in the open and I do not want a large transformer sticking 3 inches out from the wall.

Is there a solution at the main panel that may work? What should I look for?
I'm guessing the second pic is one of those "all-in-one" alarm systems? It's the main panel, keypad, and alarm speaker combined in one unit (with the sensors operating wirelessly?) If that's the case, it's not going to work with your old alarm panel (and cannot be hardwired.) If you want a setup like the old system you'll need to purchase components that will work with that type of setup. The systems with a "main" alarm panel (normally located in a closet, basement, etc), are more modular than the all-in-one systems.
diystephen is offline   Reply With Quote