How Do I Break This Up For Inspections (or How Many Inspections Do I Need)? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

How do I break this up for inspections (or how many inspections do I need)?

I've got a number of electrical-related projects that I'm getting ready to take on in the house. From talking to both the bldg and electrical inspectors in my area, I won't need permits for any of it, just inspections before they go active. I'm hoping to space some of it out, though, so am wondering how I go about breaking it up for inspection purposes.

The major projects are:
  • Upgrade the main service to 200 Amps or add a sub-panel (still on the fence about this one).
  • Replace the old ungrounded/two conductor wiring in the garage with new circuits.
  • Rewire the existing finished downstairs family room to turn it into a media room.
  • Replace the wiring in the unfinished part of the basement with copper.
  • Replace all of the upstairs wiring with copper (coming down through the attic)
  • Add overhead lights to all of the bedrooms
  • Augment the existing kitchen lighting.
My goal was to get the first two done ASAP so that I can actually use the garage for other projects, so that will probably be 1 inspection followed quickly by the media room (a second inspection?).

After that, I was hoping to move through the rest of the house as time and money allowed, but don't want to get the inspector out every time I replace a switch or receptacle.

What's the best way for me to approach all of this from an inspection standpoint?

Thanks,

Mike

Advertisement

tigereye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,878

When you say you are rewiring do you plan to remove the drywall or will most of the work be fished? Fished work would just get an inspection when the work is completed. Work where the drywall was removed would require a rough-in inspection before the drywall is installed and a final after all the work is done.

Advertisement

Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
When you say you are rewiring do you plan to remove the drywall or will most of the work be fished? Fished work would just get an inspection when the work is completed. Work where the drywall was removed would require a rough-in inspection before the drywall is installed and a final after all the work is done.
All of the work will be fished, there will be no drywall removal done. The garage will be in conduit, the rest will be in existing wall or ceiling cavities.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:51 PM   #4

dumb question: are you an electrician?
NolaTigaBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaTigaBait View Post
dumb question: are you an electrician?
Not a dumb question, but no, I'm not.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Sorry, but I can't resist chiming in:

Since you've been talking with the electrical inspector, the simplest (and probably the only) way to find out what would be most convenient for him (her?) is to ask him. Here my inspector is only too happy to answer questions on anything from code to inspections. I'd hope that most places in the US are like this -- the inspection folks are an asset, to be used wisely, but definitely to be used. Also, here they don't charge per visit. Not sure how far this can be pushed but I added a circuit after my last rewiring project had been inspected. Got charged $4 for an additional circuit and the guy made another trip out to check it out. I thought that was pretty nice of them.
philS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

If your electrical inspector does not require a permit for that sort of work, he's an idiot. The National Electrical Code requires permits for each and every line item you listed in your scope or work, as does the International Residential Code.

They require inspections but don't require permits? Perhaps they don't like for there to be a paper trail.

If they don't require permits for the work, I can't begin to imagine what if any inspections they'll require. You definitely need to check with the inspector to determine what he wants to see, and how he'd allow you to break up the projects into different phases.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by philS View Post
Sorry, but I can't resist chiming in:

Since you've been talking with the electrical inspector, the simplest (and probably the only) way to find out what would be most convenient for him (her?) is to ask him. Here my inspector is only too happy to answer questions on anything from code to inspections. I'd hope that most places in the US are like this -- the inspection folks are an asset, to be used wisely, but definitely to be used. Also, here they don't charge per visit. Not sure how far this can be pushed but I added a circuit after my last rewiring project had been inspected. Got charged $4 for an additional circuit and the guy made another trip out to check it out. I thought that was pretty nice of them.
Phil,

Thanks for the input. I didn't realize that I could work with the inspector like that to find out what works best for them. I'll have to give them a call. I guess I was thinking there would be some sort of conflict of interest if they provided any input along the way.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
If your electrical inspector does not require a permit for that sort of work, he's an idiot. The National Electrical Code requires permits for each and every line item you listed in your scope or work, as does the International Residential Code.

They require inspections but don't require permits? Perhaps they don't like for there to be a paper trail.

If they don't require permits for the work, I can't begin to imagine what if any inspections they'll require. You definitely need to check with the inspector to determine what he wants to see, and how he'd allow you to break up the projects into different phases.
See, this is where I'm confused, too. Not only do they not require a permit, but I can't find anyone to give me a permit. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. I called the city, who said that it's handled at the county level. I called the county Building Dept, who said that a permit isn't required/available for anything on my list since it's my house I'm working on. They did say that I'd need to contact the one approved inspector in the area for inspection. I contacted the inspection company who sent me some paperwork to schedule an inspection, but said the same thing about no permit because it's my house, and to go ahead and start the work, but don't power until the inspection is done.

Frankly, I'd like to get permits so that I've got a proper paper trail before I start anything, but am at a bit of an impasse trying to figure out what to do next.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #10

Are you out in the "boonies" ??
I know a guy out west where they won't even travel to do the inspection. Too far, no-one even bothers with permits
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #11
the Musigician

where IS this mystical, mythical land where no permit is required for electrical work of this nature????
i'm astonished, to say the least........

DM
Old 03-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
where IS this mystical, mythical land where no permit is required for electrical work of this nature????
i'm astonished, to say the least........

DM
It's not in Maryland.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #13
the Musigician

sureasshyt ain't in Michigan!

DM
Old 03-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
sureasshyt ain't in Michigan!

DM

Here they want to ban the homeowner from doing any work (plumbing, hvac, electrical, you name it) and require a licensed professional to do the work.

But just go out of town and you might just end up in the mystical, magical fantasy world of no permits.

If you are an electrician, though, you don't really need to pull permits for powering wells, etc. or even burying SE conduit here.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Are you out in the "boonies" ??
I know a guy out west where they won't even travel to do the inspection. Too far, no-one even bothers with permits
I just updated my location info, but, no, definitely not out in the boonies. Around here, there are plenty of boonies to be found, but I'm pretty much right in the middle of a fairly dense residential area.

Advertisement