DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How Do I add a new 120 Adding a new 120v circuit breaker to box

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Pudge565 
#1 · (Edited)
Adding a new 120v circuit breaker to box

How do I wire in the new breaker? I understand where the outgoing wires are hooked up at, but how does the breaker get the power that it is sending? Do i connect it to a lug, or does it automatically receive power when I snap it onto the bar? I'm running power to a new outside shed that my dad put together. There are terminals for the wires to be hooked up, but I'm having a dilemma with the breaker... any help?

#2 ·
Do i connect it to a lug, or does it automatically receive power when I snap it onto the bar? I'm running power to a new outside shed that my dad put together. There are terminals for the wires to be hooked up, but I'm having a dilemma with the breaker... any help?
Many residential breakers simply snap in. When you seat the breaker onto the underlying bus, there is now voltage within the breaker on the line side of the contacts. Screw down the hot leg to the load side terminal on the breaker and connect the neutral to the neutral bar (note: I'm assuming that this is NOT a GFCI breaker as the neutral connection is just a skotch different than described above in that case).

#3 ·
If you look at the panel where the breaker is going to snap in you will see e metal bar in the middle where the breakers will touch. This is hot!!! Unless the main breaker for the panel is switched off.

If you look at the breaker itself you will see where the metal from it will connect to the metal piece in the panel and get its power.

Be Careful. Make sure the breaker you are installing is in the off position before installing and connect the white neutral and the ground to there corresponding bars.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.