Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #1

Share |

How to disconnect an outlet from a light switch

I have a light switch in my apartment that controls both the light in the kitchen and power to both sockets of a dual outlet. How do I adjust the wiring so that the outlet is always powered? The wiring box behind the outlet only has two wires going into the outlet, but the wiring box under the light switch has three sets of three wires (black, white, and ground).
Attached Thumbnails
How to disconnect an outlet from a light switch-photo-1.jpg   How to disconnect an outlet from a light switch-photo-2.jpg  
mattjarvinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #2

The plug you have is wired in series with the lights. You need to wire the lights in series with the switch, and the plug in parallel. You need find out which wires are going to the outlet and connect them to the other side of the switch terminal. Here is a schematic kind of. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
How to disconnect an outlet from a light switch-schematic.jpg  
cthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjarvinen View Post
I have a light switch in my apartment that controls both the light in the kitchen and power to both sockets of a dual outlet. How do I adjust the wiring so that the outlet is always powered? The wiring box behind the outlet only has two wires going into the outlet, but the wiring box under the light switch has three sets of three wires (black, white, and ground).

First of all the key word is apartment you will have to talk to the landlord about the situation you have and YOU can NOT modifaction to any wiring to the apartment at all.

The landlord will have to assist you on this matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomson View Post
The plug you have is wired in series with the lights. You need to wire the lights in series with the switch, and the plug in parallel. You need find out which wires are going to the outlet and connect them to the other side of the switch terminal. Here is a schematic kind of. I hope this helps.
The drawing you posted is complety wrong for this purpose you can not hook up the light in series due the bulbs will become dim or not working at all.

All the standard lights are wired in PARALLEL connection never in series.

The only time you use the series is the switch loop for switch itself that it nothing else.

All the receptales are wired in parallel as well.

And also if you catch the OP mention apartment therefore he have to get ahold of landlord to assist him on that one.
{ there is a state law or codes reguarding about apartments they are pretty strict on them }

Merci,
Marc