DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

how dangers is an ungrounded receptical

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  kenny357 
#1 ·
i'm sure this question has been answer but i was checking my outlets and found 2 of my outlets with no ground and i want to know how dangers is it and how to repair it any info will help

#2 ·
Depends on whats getting plugged in, not too many household appliances have a grounded cord anyways, but if you want you can replace the existing 2 wire receptacles with GFI''s...

just reread your post..., Are you receptacles already 3 wire receptacles but missing a ground? or are they 2 wire receptacles?

#4 ·
Have you taken the covers off of some of the 3 prong outlets to verify that they indeed have a ground and were not just swapped out for convenience? If you haven't yet, you should to see what your dealing with.

#7 · (Edited)
John:

The nec in 2008 is supposed to make all this confusion about grounded,grounding and ground more clear. The term earthing is going to come into play much like or friends in other parts of the world. Long story though....

I'm sure Chris is talking about that green wire in the cord.....:)

Notice how I ingeniously avoided any word that starts with "Ground---"....:thumbsup:

Stubbie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.