How To Create A Pass Through For Power - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 266

How to create a pass through for power

I have my garage as part of my lower floor although it's not heated. Main panel is in the garage. We are having cellulose blown into the garage ceiling and foam into the walls to help with insulation. I realize this makes fishing wire to the panel quite a bit harder.

Any idea's? I was hoping to run one of those datacom low voltage cable pass wall plates and running that into a sort of conduit but I realized it's only for low voltage.

Can I just run two 1 inch metal pipes next to it? Is that within code? I'd have to cap them to start and foam them once in use but I figure it's worth saving the hassle later.

Ideas are appreciated.

Advertisement

MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

What are you planning on running? If you are going to install some cable, then yes you can use a couple of conduits as a "chase" to get you from one space to the other.

Advertisement

Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
What are you planning on running? If you are going to install some cable, then yes you can use a couple of conduits as a "chase" to get you from one space to the other.
so do these...
http://www.amazon.com/DataComm-45-00...8017912&sr=8-6

only work for low voltage?

what qualifies as conduits? I'm assuming plastic doesn't and only metal would let me make the conduit between the garage and the rest of the house?

Thanks for the help.
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,866

I would use either EMT or a PVC conduit between the panel and a junction box with a cover at the top.

The inlets that you linked to would still need to have cables fished between the 2 points. The foam would make that difficult. I did not look to see about the LV rating.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Conduit doesn't have to be metal. There is flex conduit (liquidtight) or the grey pvc, probably others. I'm not an electrician but I believe you need to have your wire secured at the point of entry in to the panel but I would think you also need the conduit secured to the panel. So i'm not sure how you would do that or if you'd still need the wire secured if the conduit they run in is.
autx790 is offline   Reply With Quote