Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2009, 01:25 AM   #1

Share |

How to convert electrical voltage of appliances

I have a couple of electrical items that is brought from japan. I wish to use it but the voltage is not the same in Singapore. I seek several opinions on possible options but confused by two main answer.
1) suggested that I change the plug and it will work.The plug is those two pins shorter pin distant in between then those we used in singapore. ( I doubt this would work since I also have adaptors of that size and when i tried using it, the appliances burn with smoke emitting. Unless something inside has to change as well, is it so)
2) others suggested that I purchase a voltage transformer which is like an Adaptor as well. But I have 10 appliances of such nature does that mean That I have to buy ten if I am regularly using those items and inconvenient to plug and unplug each time I need it. One cost abt 30 plus dollars which means I have to spent hundreds on that.
Can someone advise the best way to do it that saves my time and money.Thank you

a.kkkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #2

What is the voltage and frequency in Singapore?

What is the voltage (or voltage range) and frequency (or frequency range) each appliance wants?

Almost always you can use 50 Hz AC appliances on 60 Hz power. Often you need a power converter (not just a transformer) to run 60 Hz appliances on 50 Hz power, I would not simply try plugging in.

Between 220 and 250 volts is a small enough discrepancy that it does not matter. Between 110 and 125 volts is a small enough discrepancy that it does not matter.

Most 120 volt systems also have 240 volts available although you may need to have a new cable strung and a new receptacle installed.

>>> ... and when i tried using it, the appliances burn with smoke emitting ...
Never simply get a plug adapter and try using.

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-23-2009 at 07:58 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #3

http://www.kropla.com/electric.htm
http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm
http://users.pandora.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

You are attempting to operate a 100 Volt appliance on a 240 Volt system. And yes, this will cause the smoke to escape from your appliances, which will render them useless.

You should get a step-down transformer for proper operation of those appliances.

Some of the so-called voltage converters commonly used for traveling may work, but be warned that those are simply glorified "dimmers" which reduce the average voltage while maintaining the peak voltage. The end result is a distorted sine wave output that can also fry some electronics designed for lower operating voltages.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherSprks View Post
Buy American!!
HA! Yeah right.

I do agree with just buying appliances made for the country you are in.

Converters are fine for one or two appliances and very occasional use, but for ten appliances and regular use for get it.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #6

got to agree with Speedy Petey on this one. Purchase your appliances in the country you plan to use them. Don't see many europeans moving to north america bringing their appliances along, most only bring their cars.
BCSparkyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSparkyGirl View Post
got to agree with Speedy Petey on this one. Purchase your appliances in the country you plan to use them. Don't see many europeans moving to north america bringing their appliances along, most only bring their cars.
...wait till we have Electric cars...! But on a more serious note. Advice to poster #1. It would be best (as some other posters advised) to buy Electrical appliances locally. But for the (multiple) gadgets that you already have. Either call a (local) electrician and have one or more circuits installed for outlets SPECIFICALLY designed for those appliances, matching Voltage, Hz. and ampacity. Or buy a Transformer with all the matching attributes and capacity to run everything at once. Eliminate Confusion through Education. Now more than ever!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #8
DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSparkyGirl View Post
I guess they would be all set up for delivering mail then.

Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote