Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #1

Share |

how to complete wiring for pot lights

I have a suspended ceiling just put in my basement and I want to put in the pot lights to complete it. My electrician has a 3 wire going to a light that is installed right now with just the black and white wire connected. There is another switch box that has 2 long 14/2 wires pulled into it to control the lights from another location that I assume half of the pots are connected to one wire each. Hopefully I am explaining this properly. I want to know how to connect the 2 14/2 wires to the pots and and the 3 wire switch.
Unfortunately the electrician has already been paid and he won't answer the phone or return messages so I want to complete the hookup of the pots myself.

billybarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

IMO this is going to be way too complicated to try and do via drawings or typing.

First off, you CANNOT use two 14/2's for a 3-way switch. You will need to run, or have run, another 14/3 between the switches or to the light with the other 14/3.

IMO call this guy and tell him if he does not call back that you are going to hire someone else to finish and send the bill to him, and also a copy to your lawyer.

Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
jbfan (01-17-2011), rselectric1 (01-17-2011)
Old 01-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Cabinet Installer

Some photos and a drawing of the room might help. There are so many ways this could have been wired that it may be a challenge to troubleshoot without your having some knowledge of how the circuit should work. It sounds as if you may have a 3 way switch in the circuit. Do you think the circuit is controlled by multiple switches around the room. If so; how many? Do you have a volt meter and are you comfortable working with electricity. Do you have an understanding of electrical circuits?

You will need to identify where the power is coming from and the route it takes through the switches and the light, in order to know not only what kind of switch is needed but also how the switch should be wired in place.
http://www.belbuilt.com
Dansbell is offline   Reply With Quote