Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2008, 11:54 PM   #1

Share |

How to check total load?

Hi,

PROBLEM: I am trying to figure out how many pot lights I can afford in the basement.

FINDINGS: On the panel I see the fuse (yep. good old fuses :-) ) which has a label "basement". When removed there is no light in the basement. So I did assume that one fuse/line controls only one light fixture in the basement. However I can see same cable keeps running from the light fixture behind the drywall somewhere I can't see.

How can verify what is the load on this specific cable/fuse? Keep checking all appliances/recpticals/etc throughout the house?

Thank you.

polarbear3270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #2

How to check total load?

polarbear3270, Yep, you're on the right track. If you don't have access to a multimeter, for outlets you can use a plug in lamp. Since the lighting circuit is 110V you can skip checking: elec. stove, hot water heater, 220V A/C units, etc. I'm not sure what you mean by "pot" lights. Each 65W light you add is about .6 amps. Adding 6 - 8 lights shouldn't be a problem, IF the circuit is lightly loaded. In some older houses, before the advent of a house full of electrical devices, one circuit powered many outlets/lights with no problem. Since your house still has a fuse box you can choose two routes; be very thorough and check the existing circuit, or run a new feed to the switch location. IMHO, the second is the best bet. Then there'll be no questions as to what's on the circuit. pete

petey_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
Licensed Electrician

How to check total load?

Petey is right. Unscrew the fuse and look all around the entire house for what is no longer working. That is the existing load.