How Can I Wire Up An Antique Pushbutton Light Switch? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

How can I wire up an antique pushbutton light switch?

Hi guys,

I purchased this switch for our living room. I love the old world feel of the solid ceramic switch. Heard the repros were just too lightweight and flimsy feeling.

It was advertised as a 2-way. From what I read, that nomenclature means it's SPST, which is what I want, because I have a single switch in the room. It's a Perkins. I believe the model is 2033. Haven't been able to locate any info on it yet. There's a wiring diagram on the ceramic, but it's hard to read.

Does that sound right for the picture?

Does that mean the third connector is a ground?

Or, is that not a ground, and I'd need to add a ground by drilling/tapping a new hole on the frame? If it's not a ground, and it's really a 3-way, am I screwed? Can it still be used as a SPST?

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
How can I wire up an antique pushbutton light switch?-pushbutton.jpg  

Advertisement

tbeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

From a logic stand point, you can still use a 3-way switch as a simple on/off switch, just use the common and either of the contacts.

Not sure if any of this would be a code violation or not. Obviously a 3-way switch isn't labeled "ON/OFF" and neither is this. I seem to recall NEC doesn't like a switch to be mounted up-side-down (don't want switches labelled NO/FFO).

Otherwise, a meter with a continuity option would let you quickly determine if this is a 3-way or single with a ground.

Advertisement

HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #3

You know, when I first ordered this, I had no idea there might be a legal issue. How naive!

Seems that if this really is a 3-way, I'd want to somehow insulate the second hot terminal, as well as grounding what little metal there is on the switch (the tab).

Apparently, the terms 2-way and 3-way are often mixed up, from what I an tell.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeaulieu View Post
Seems that if this really is a 3-way, I'd want to somehow insulate the second hot terminal
Why? If it's properly protected inside a junction box. I don't see that as being any different than the screw terminals of a modern duplex receptical.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #5

Maybe if I had put even a little thought into that switch before I ordered it, this would be easier!

He's got this switch for sale, too. Maybe I'll just buy this one.

I'd love to have a 3-way setup in this room, but don't feel like opening that can just yet.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
How can I wire up an antique pushbutton light switch?-pushbutton2.jpg  
Old 03-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Older houses where the electric is considered "historic" can be exempt from a lot of codes - IE they are allowed to replace older switches etc with period authentic replacement devices
I always liked the push button switches..but they are more expensive

When mounted vertically ON must be up - section 404.7
If mounted horizontal there isn't a preference listed

Hard to tell from the pic the depth difference of the screw terminals
I would think they are far enough back that a face plate would not hit them
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #7

Thanks Dave.

Logic tells me NONE of the terminals could hit the face plate, or the switch would be useless to begin with, so I guess I *could* leave one exposed.

But ... There's no on/off, or up/down, so I guess this would be a problem.

I am going to try to call the wiring inspector tonight 7-8 is the window we're given.

I suspect that, best case, I'll have to buy a "1-way" switch, which *I assume* is marked. I know the button colors clearly indicate which is on, which is off.

Although our house is far older than electricity, it's been upgraded allready, so I assume we wouldn't be grandfathered.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

404.7 does state that they must clearly indicate if they are in the ON or OFF position
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba_Dave For This Useful Post:
tbeaulieu (03-05-2010)
Old 03-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
404.7 does state that they must clearly indicate if they are in the ON or OFF position
If this is indeed a 3-way switch and you want to "get around" this requirement, you could always just wire it up with a normal 3-way switch located somewhere else.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #10

Or buy another of these...

Expands the scope of the simple "swap out" project. I would like two switches someday...
Old 03-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 818

Post #5 has the Mother of pearl inlay for the "on" position. The other switch was a 3-way. Switches weren't required to be grounded until the 70's.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #12
Electrician

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Hi guys,

I purchased this switch for our living room. I love the old world feel of the solid ceramic switch. Heard the repros were just too lightweight and flimsy feeling.

It was advertised as a 2-way. From what I read, that nomenclature means it's SPST, which is what I want, because I have a single switch in the room. It's a Perkins. I believe the model is 2033. Haven't been able to locate any info on it yet. There's a wiring diagram on the ceramic, but it's hard to read.

Does that sound right for the picture?

Does that mean the third connector is a ground?

Or, is that not a ground, and I'd need to add a ground by drilling/tapping a new hole on the frame? If it's not a ground, and it's really a 3-way, am I screwed? Can it still be used as a SPST?

Thank you!
Very cool switch, I like vintage electrical stuff too.
I'm almost certain it's a three way.
You absolutely can use it as a single pole.
Do not drill or tap anything into any part of the switch. You don't need to ground that switch. Install away. Do you have a cover plate for it?
Rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Hi guys,

I have a bunch of the new switches in my house. They are not as solid feeling as the old versions but they are not terrible. Once they are installed a lot of the flimsy feeling goes away. You can buy 3-way push button switches as well as dimmers (they are expensive) and a few more exotic options. The electrician that did the installation didn't even know they made push button switches

If interested I got mine from House of Antique Hardware.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #14

And the saga continues ...

I ordered another 3-way switch. Figured I'd get started with the wiring. Installed the second box in the wall. Of course, I couldn't reach the town inspector and he hasn't returned my call yet. Doubt he will.

I've been reading the many write-ups on 3-way. They're all geared towards lights, while my set up includes wall outlets (the top or the bottom half - forget which).

I haven't taken anything apart yet to investigate the existing wiring.

Do you guys think this is going to be tricky for me to do? I suspect this wiring diagram is most appropriate for me:

http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/in...ch-option2.htm

My assumption is that the 2-wirecomming into the first switch (right) is what I've got now at my only switch. In other words, I believe I only need to run a 3-wire (plus ground) to the new switch.

I believe I found something claiming I'm not allowed to mark the whites on the outlets with black take, as is shown at the light in the diagram.

Anyone familiar with this? I called a couple of electricians this morning, considering hiring someone so I can watch, but of course ... no responses yet.

@cellophane ... it's still a real possibility that I wasted $50 on these switches and will end up buying reproductions!
Old 03-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #15

The new switches look and work great. We bought some heavy brass switch covers for the antique look.

I had an electrician come in and finish the job for me. He did a good job, chaining from the first switch, to the second and then back to the original line that feeds the outlets.

It was pretty cheap, since I already have the wire run and ready for him.

Thanks for the help guys!

Advertisement