How Can I Keep Thieves From Stealing My Wire? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Still Learning

Rewards Points: 250

how can I keep thieves from stealing my wire?

Hey we have a rental property in vegas. Its been vacant for a while and tweakers keep coming to steal the wires out of the service panel. What does code allow for locking the service panel? The little tab on the bottom has already been broken off. I was gonna put a 200amp subpanel inside and wield the main panel shut but I dont think thats such a good Idea anymore. Please help they stole the wires 4 times now

Advertisement

thehvacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

treat the problem, not the symptoms.

remove the tweakers from the equation either by removing the tweakers themselves, or making it more cost/time effective for them to go elsewhere.

I believe welding the main panel shut would not be "code"

Advertisement

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Still Learning

You cant remove tweakers from vegas, its like removing white from rice. Would there be any code problems if I put a steel bar across the front of the panel and put a heavy duty pad luck on it?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehvacguy View Post
You cant remove tweakers from vegas, its like removing white from rice. Would there be any code problems if I put a steel bar across the front of the panel and put a heavy duty pad luck on it?
you might be better served by calling your POCO and asking them acceptable means of securing wiring.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Still Learning

Are you refering to going to the city building and asking them? I dont know what POCO means...
Old 06-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Hey we have a rental property in vegas. Its been vacant for a while and tweakers keep coming to steal the wires out of the service panel. What does code allow for locking the service panel? The little tab on the bottom has already been broken off. I was gonna put a 200amp subpanel inside and wield the main panel shut but I dont think thats such a good Idea anymore. Please help they stole the wires 4 times now
Tell you how I stopped my wire stealing problems. I was doing a 50 house project in a what you might call not the most friendly neighborhood. I started having my wire cut off at the outlet boxes and panel boxes. Naturally I did not store any material on the job. One day I was working in one of the houses and a little black boy about 9 years old was watching me. I made a little small talk with him, and asked him if he lived in the project. He said he did and I asked him who was the baddest man in the project. He told me it was Jerome, biggest,baddest dude around.
I told him to tell this Jerome to come by and see me. The next day I was on the job and the biggest baddest looking man I had ever seen walked in the door. He said, kinda intimidating, I will admit, "You wanted to see me?
I sure do I said. I told him about my problem and Told him that this job would last about 3 months. I walked over to him looked up and stuffed a $50.00 bill
in his shirt pocket. I told him, that every Friday that I did not lose any wire that week I would put another $50.00 in his pocket. He said I had a deal don't worry about you wire anymore. By the time I finished the job I had given him about $400.00. Worth ever cent. Funny thing he wanted to know where my next project was going to be. That is a true story
jackspratsr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jackspratsr For This Useful Post:
kbsparky (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Still Learning

Haha that is a funny story. My problem is this is a piece of crap house my dad bought that is supposed to be bring in 900 a month and this crap has been vacant for 6 months and we cant rent it if those dam tweakers wont leave the electrical in place. We dont wanna spend any money that we dont have to ya know? I would move in myself but there is no work in vegas and its not legal to grow there. This is a big headache I want to go away... Im ready to weld that crap closed already
Old 06-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackspratsr View Post
Tell you how I stopped my wire stealing problems. I was doing a 50 house project in a what you might call not the most friendly neighborhood. I started having my wire cut off at the outlet boxes and panel boxes. Naturally I did not store any material on the job. One day I was working in one of the houses and a little black boy about 9 years old was watching me. I made a little small talk with him, and asked him if he lived in the project. He said he did and I asked him who was the baddest man in the project. He told me it was Jerome, biggest,baddest dude around.
I told him to tell this Jerome to come by and see me. The next day I was on the job and the biggest baddest looking man I had ever seen walked in the door. He said, kinda intimidating, I will admit, "You wanted to see me?
I sure do I said. I told him about my problem and Told him that this job would last about 3 months. I walked over to him looked up and stuffed a $50.00 bill
in his shirt pocket. I told him, that every Friday that I did not lose any wire that week I would put another $50.00 in his pocket. He said I had a deal don't worry about you wire anymore. By the time I finished the job I had given him about $400.00. Worth ever cent. Funny thing he wanted to know where my next project was going to be. That is a true story
It may be true, but it's certainly sad.

DM
Old 06-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
the Musigician

Quote:
Haha that is a funny story. My problem is this is a piece of crap house my dad bought that is supposed to be bring in 900 a month and this crap has been vacant for 6 months and we cant rent it if those dam tweakers wont leave the electrical in place. We dont wanna spend any money that we dont have to ya know? I would move in myself but there is no work in vegas and its not legal to grow there. This is a big headache I want to go away... Im ready to weld that crap closed already
You can't grow "what"? in vegas? Just sell the place for whatever you can get and forget it.

DM
creeper (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
the Musigician

Quote:
I dont know what POCO means...
POwer COmpany

DM
Old 06-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse

POwer COmpany

DM
Thanks, you are the first person with a straight answer

Advertisement