DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How to build a romex spinner

39K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  jimmy21 
#1 ·
As requested. Here is how to build a wire spinner. I appologize i don't have time at the moment to do a real how to, and actually build one. Maybe tomorrow. But here is a rough outline of how to build one.
Materials
1 - 12" 2x4
2 - 24" 2x4
6 - 3" screws
16 - romex staples
2 - large washers
1 - 3" framing nail
2 - 4' scraps of romex

Step 1
Screw the 12" piece of 2x4 to the center of one of the 24" pieces, So you end up with a T

Step 2. Screw the other 24" piece of 2x4 perpendicular to the first 24" 2x4

step 3. Put 1 washer on the nail. Then push the nail though the center of one of the chunks of romex

step 4. Put the other washer over the top of the romex, then push the other piece of romex onto the nail. Your end product, should go. Head of nail, washer, romex, washer, romex

step 5. staple the romex in an "X" in the center of your 12" 2x4

Step 6. Staple the romex to each edge of your 2x4 X. The wire should be loose, not tight, After its stapled to the edges, staple it to the underside. Use plenty of staples and get them nailed in good. This is what is actually going to be bearing the weight.

step 7. Bend nail into a hook

step 8. ??????

step 9. profit

This isn't an exact science. The one i built was fairly random, no measurements were taken, i just threw it together real quick. So they may not be the ideal measurments. A little experminting might find the ideal measurements. If your X is too small, your romex will unwind and fall on the floor. Maybe tomorrow i'll actually build one and take pictures as i go, so it looks like a REAL how to

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
ya, i planned on doing that. It had come up in a thread and i said id post a how to, so i did. I think those instructions should be able to be followed. I was planning to building one, maybe i'll just video record it, and post it to youtube. Then it would look official :laughing:

#11 ·
I just roll the wire out in front of me as im walking with the roll,same way I was taught 30 plus years ago.
i hate seeing twisted romex! :wink:

#13 ·
i hate seeing twisted romex! :wink:
I hate it too. I had her unwinding it for me and i ended up having to pull the darn thing back out after it was cut and untwist it. It was pretty bad looking. :eek:

I can't fathom an easier way than using one of these to uncoil the wire in the attic.

Julius : You put your coil over the vertical board, and hang the spinner from the ceiling somewhere. :thumbup:

#15 ·
HAHAHA

I see the confusion now. I can see where it wouldn't work well for a 1000' roll that already comes on a reel. :) This is for shrink wrapped rolls.

I haven't tried it for one of those 15 foot rolls you can buy at HD yet though.

:jester::jester::jester:

#16 ·
Alan said:
HAHAHA

I see the confusion now. I can see where it wouldn't work well for a 1000' roll that already comes on a reel. :) This is for shrink wrapped rolls.

I haven't tried it for one of those 15 foot rolls you can buy at HD yet though.

:jester::jester::jester:
Didnt even know they make 15' rolls :)

#17 ·
Id just roll it out on the floor down below then drag it up in the attic or where ever i need it as i go.:)
Ive never seen much use for those little short rolls of romex,even the 100' rolls cost a lot more than the 250' rolls when you figure it buy the foot.
Speaking of driving me nuts,why on earth did they decide to start making 14/3 flat like 14/2?:censored:
I know theyve been making it that way for a while,but now it gets kinks/twists in it just like 14/2! :laughing:

#18 ·
just logged in after a long while and saw this thread had some more posts. To answer some questions, no i don't bust this thing out on short service calls, or kitchen remodels or anything like that, but i wouldn't dream of wiring an entire house without one.

heres a site i came across that has a strikingly similar build
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/tips/site-built-wire-spinner.aspx

heres some pictures of commercially available ones.

and one that mounts onto a 2x4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.