Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #1

Share |

How bad is this electrical box?

I think it's a mess, but I don't have much to go on here. :-) I'd love to see a box with nice clean wire runs and plenty of normal (non-double) breakers, but does it really matter? I'm tempted to have it replaced, but would it just be a waste of money? Total feed is 150A, nameplate on box says "General".

Thx.

WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #2

It is a messy panel for sure, but that's pretty commonplace in older homes. The double breakers aren't an issue. One thing that jumps out at me is that your ground/neutral bar seems packed. Neutrals under the same lug as other neutrals or neutrals and grounds under the same lug is a code violation. Multiple grounds under one lug normally isn't an issue if they're the same size of wire.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:40 PM   #3

How does one "fix" the neutral/ground bus problem? This is the final disconnect before the POCO so the neutral and ground buses are tied together. Does one just buy a bus extender? Does it screw into the bottom of the panel, and then you jumper the two buses together? And can you extend the wires in the panel w/pigtails if they don't reach?
WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #4

You can usually buy a secondary neutral/ground bar at a supply house. See if there are any pre-tapped holes in the panel to accept them. Take the manufacturer name and model number to a supply house and they'll get you hooked up. Wires can be extended with wire nuts, just use the correct wire size.

Hard to tell for certain, but I don't see anything else that bugs me.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:38 PM   #5

ugly as EDIT, but looks like it works fine. Whoever did this should hang their head in shame.

Last edited by Termite; 08-26-2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: site rules violation: text masking profane language
BCSparkyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSparkyGirl View Post
ugly as EDIT, but looks like it works fine. Whoever did this should hang their head in shame.
Missy, I'll have you know I made good money on that job!
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
Missy, I'll have you know I made good money on that job!

I don't doubt you did in the slightest.......I am just picky, and I like a pretty panel. Nothing wrong with the work, as I said, I am sure it works just fine, but i cant do a panel like that. I used to work on yachts, where if i did a job like that, the boss, and the owner of the vessel would have my butt in a sling, as the panels were opened at boat shows, and if they didn't look perfect, I could cost my company a sale, and since the minimum price for one boat was 1.8 million US, you don't want to be the person that cost the company a sale. That's how I learned, and that is how I work to this day.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSparkyGirl View Post
I don't doubt you did in the slightest.......I am just picky, and I like a pretty panel. Nothing wrong with the work, as I said, I am sure it works just fine, but i cant do a panel like that. I used to work on yachts, where if i did a job like that, the boss, and the owner of the vessel would have my butt in a sling, as the panels were opened at boat shows, and if they didn't look perfect, I could cost my company a sale, and since the minimum price for one boat was 1.8 million US, you don't want to be the person that cost the company a sale. That's how I learned, and that is how I work to this day.
Hope you know, he was pulling your leg.
Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:18 AM   #9

I figured that out right after I posted.....the blonde in me coming out, LOL. This is why, on occasion, I dye my hair blonde, just so I can use that excuse!!!