Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How to add another box?

I replaced an electric stove with a gas one, so now i have an open breaker. It is a 220v 40 amp pushmatic breaker. I am installing a new saltwater aquarium and need some outlets for it. Can i run the 220v 40A circuit to a smaller new breaker box just for the tank and then install 4 10amp individual breakers in the new box? What i want is to be able to install 10 total outlets but split onto 2 different breakers so if one trips i still have some pumps running. I figured that would leave me 2 open ones for later use. I want to install gfci outlets because this is for a fish tank, but i don't want all 5 to go out if only 1 outlet trips, so do i need to wire them in parallel?

My electrical knowledge comes from the auto industry, so don't have the skills to do this on my own but i have some help form my dad who has done home wiring before. I just want some input from you guys so i know what i'm asking him to do.

I would also appreciate any input on brands of boxes or any other recomendation you would like to add.

One last thing, if adding this second box is ok, how much should i expect to pay if i have an electrician do the work? The new box will be right next to the existing one and outlets will be with 10 feet of the box, no fllors or walls to go through, just along the wall.

detroti_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
DIY'er

How to add another box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroti_fan View Post
I replaced an electric stove with a gas one, so now i have an open breaker. It is a 220v 40 amp pushmatic breaker. I am installing a new saltwater aquarium and need some outlets for it. Can i run the 220v 40A circuit to a smaller new breaker box just for the tank and then install 4 10amp individual breakers in the new box? What i want is to be able to install 10 total outlets but split onto 2 different breakers so if one trips i still have some pumps running. I figured that would leave me 2 open ones for later use. I want to install gfci outlets because this is for a fish tank, but i don't want all 5 to go out if only 1 outlet trips, so do i need to wire them in parallel?

My electrical knowledge comes from the auto industry, so don't have the skills to do this on my own but i have some help form my dad who has done home wiring before. I just want some input from you guys so i know what i'm asking him to do.

I would also appreciate any input on brands of boxes or any other recomendation you would like to add.

One last thing, if adding this second box is ok, how much should i expect to pay if i have an electrician do the work? The new box will be right next to the existing one and outlets will be with 10 feet of the box, no fllors or walls to go through, just along the wall.

$50 to $100 for the sub panel, plus some expense for necessary items such as wire between the panels, conduit, etc.

You will have outlets on a minimum of a 15A breaker. Mind as well use 20A in my opinion. Run 12 gage wire. To do what you propose with the GFCI, you need to install a GFCI outlet for each outlet and wire them each directly.

Cuttler Hammer CH or Square D QO are the top of the line panels. SquareD QO are a residential grade panel are are ok, they are on sale this week at Menards if your in the greater Midwest area.

This will end up being a day to a day and a half of work work for a skilled person, depending on how hard it is to access the area to install the outlets, it could easily cost $1,000. If you do it yourself, plan on $200-$300 in materials and plan to invest a lot of time learning how to properly install this setup.

Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Learning by Doing

How to add another box?

Uh, you might want to relocate your RO generating system from underneath your box. Especially if it's salt, but in general water and electricity doesn't mix.