Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #1

Share |

House wiring diagram help

Hello everyone, my GF gutted her 1 bedroom house and tore all the wiring out and wanted to rewire the way she wanted it and asked me to help. I told her I would post a drawling if she provided me with one and maybe the helpful people of the forum would help with a drawling of what she needed to do. Well before I knew it she gave me one and here it is. She just had a new 200amp box installed and nothing is wired to it obviously so she is starting from scratch. Here is a pic of what she wants to do how would the wiring go? She installed all the boxes per the picture she just needs to know what outlets, switches and receptacles go on a breaker and what size wire is used 12-2, 14-3, 14-2 ect. The 200amp box is located in the basement under the bedrooms outside wall. Thanks Everyone!!!

oxicottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #2

although this may be how you, or gf, want it. i'm pretty sure it's not up to code. maybe call in an electrician for consultation, or your electrical inspector.

TimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
i'm pretty sure it's not up to code

Seems like a weak and non-substantiated statement. You care to explain yourself? She appears to have enough receptacles, although the local AHJ will have to make that call based on their interpretation of the NEC.

The questions regarding wire size, circuiting, and wire routing are rather rudimentary, and suggest either hiring an electrician or sitting down with a good book on house wiring.

But to suggest that the system is not to code based on nothing more than a cursory look at an un-scaled schemematic is tenuous at best.
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:27 AM   #4

Well she has a permit to do the wiring and the inspector wants to see something on paper before she starts.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #5

Looks fine for a plan submittal, you may need to add a GFCI to the right of the (presumed location of) sink. And maybe a couple of other recerticles for correct residential spacing.

The wiring sizes will be dependant on circuit size and field conditions, and will be field verified.

Your plans look very similar to the thousands of others I have seen. I see nothing off hand which would lead to anything other than minor corrections

Tim's post is specious
Old 09-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #6

should the wiring go like this, 20amp/ 12-2 wire/ recepticals in bedroom. 15amp/ 14-2 wire/ lights in bedroom and so on for each room and in the kitchen should the GFCI's beon one breaker and the others on thier own as well also should the fridge, dishwasher, garbage disposal ect be on thier own ect? Thanks!
Old 09-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Let me run a quick summury with the circuit lay out it will help you a bit with the numbers of circuits.

Keep in your mind I will use the 2008 NEC code cycle unless the OP stated what location then it will change a bit { if that location have earlier NEC code cycle }

Bathroom- 20 amp circuit with 4.0mm˛ { #12 AWG } this circuit only can serve in the bathroom and it can not serve other rooms at all. this circuit can have both RCD {GFCI} and bathroom lights on this one OR have one circuit for RCD and have lights on diffrent circuit.

Bedroom circuit you can use either 2.5 or 4.0mm˛ { #14 or #12 AWG } but it have to be on AFCI.

Living room same as bedroom

Kitchen is pretty strict in this area you will need two 20 amp countertop circuits and all the receptales have to be RCD there is no extempts on this one. {unless your local codes say diffrent }
Fridge you can have them on it own circuit
If you plan have dishwasher it will have it own circuit { 20 amp }

Cloth closet I did noted that you will need a luminaire in there just give you a head up no bare indensecent bulbs allowed { if you want indenscent luminaire it have to be enclosed type} in there bare flourscent bulb is allowed.

By the way the stove if you going with electric stove you will need 4 conductor cable with either 10 or 16mm˛ { # 8 or # 6 } cable but the 10mm˛ will need 40 amp while 16mm˛ will need 50 amp breaker { this is on copper conductors }

Dryer you will need 4 conductor cable and you will use 4 conductor cable 6.0mm˛{#10 AWG } with 30 amp breaker.

If you have electric water heater it will need 2 conductor 6.0mm˛ cable with 30 amp breaker.

If other items let us know we will guide ya in correct way

As far for other circuits like living room and Kitchen lighting and bedroom I know for sure you will need at least 3 circuits { If I know your house size I can able tell exact numbers of circuits }

Oh yeah .,, you will need at least one outdoor receptale of course RCD protection however with outdoor recetaple keep them on it own circuit.

Merci,
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #8

I can't won't answer that because I'm not a sparky. But I have been to a lot of rodeos.

You're on the right track. Make a good faith sound effort to address these items, and I'm sure the inspector will be nice and gentle in any chiding he does.

My main point in posting was to challenge Tim in his assertion that things were not up to code. They may or may not be. But there is simply not enough information to make that call.

It is also unusual for wiring schemes to be required for plan review, except on large projects and heavy industrial work. I would expect that this is because the inspector knows they are dealing with HO's, and want to try to anticipate problems before they occur

Good luck, it looks like you are on the right track
Old 09-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Anti-Wingnut.,

That part I know few inspectors will required to see the wiring diagram due some area they want to know what it layout espceally if the HO will do the wiring themself { along with a basic test }

Myself I been doing this for over 20 years both USA and France verison so I am famauir with both ways.

TimPa.,

Maybe so but due the OP will talk to the inspector first beforehand and few inspectors will be happy to guide them in correct way.

And as long the OP do understand the current codes it is not too hard as long the inspector tell them a quick tips and also the OP will use the book as like Wiring simplfied or simauir book to guide along the way.

oxicottin.,

I will fill you in more details in a moment for few tips along the way.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #10

"My main point in posting was to challenge Tim in his assertion that things were not up to code. They may or may not be. But there is simply not enough information to make that call."

that is all i said. later he mentioned he already consulted an inspector. i stand by my recommendation.
TimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:36 AM   #11

When I did my house, I first bought one of the Advance Wiring books at Home Depot, and taking a trick straight out of the boog, brought my first sketch in to my electrical inspector, using a different color of pencil for each proposed circuit, and a typed list of the gizmos I proposed to put on that circuit, BEFORE I did any work. Talk about a wealth of free advice! Just like the book said, the inspector was impressed that I cared enough to preplan, and really appreciated the organization I walked in with ((even though I had many mistakes)). The organization made it easy for the inspector to quickly sort out what I did right and what I did wrong.

My suggestion is to read the books and take a crack at laying it out yourself, in an organized way, then showing to the inspector on paper. Helps to make an appointment, too.

SteveEl
steveel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steveel For This Useful Post:
secutanudu (09-20-2010)
Old 09-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #12

Oh she is way beyond planing... I have seen drawling after drawling and she reads book after book on how to do this. I'm moral support I think our bigest problem is how many recepticals or lights can go on one circuit. I had a master electrician come in and do some of my wiring but he was a friend of my fathers, I guess im going to have to give him a call and have him look over the house to explain this better. Thanks all and im sure I will have many more questions before we finish her house.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #13
Electrician

Don't forget to put in a hardwired smoke alarm, you should only need one near the bedroom. It will have to go on one of the circuits that has lights on it.

Darren
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #14

He has already told her where and how man to put.... thanks again...