Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

House re-wiring -- what to expect during inspection

I am wrapping up re-placing the existing wiring in a 1950's home. I got the building permit before starting, and am pretty sure that all the work is up to snuff.

However, I have never gone through an inspection with a building department before. I know for new construction, there is a rough-in inspection and then a finished inspection. Is it the same for old work? Because we are living in the house, I have been wiring in devices and fixtures as I go, because it's not very convenient to live there without them. When I call for an inspection, will I have to take all of these out of the boxes for the inspector?

Thanks, in advance, for any insight anyone can provide.

richshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by richshaffer View Post
I have never gone through an inspection with a building department before.
...will I have to take all of these out of the boxes for the inspector?
The inspector will look for clues that whoever did the work understood what they were doing and took the time to be careful while doing that; using the correct materials and hardware in the correct way.

They'll ask you to open the panel to see how everything at that end of each wire was done... and to open one or two device boxes to look at that end.

You can also count on them using a plug in polarity and GFI tester and if your area requires AFCI protction to check for that. They'll also check the overall grounding/bonding work.

If you're concerned...
then ask a handy friend to come by and check you beforehand.

hth

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
NJMarine (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
The inspector will look for clues that whoever did the work understood what they were doing and took the time to be careful while doing that; using the correct materials and hardware in the correct way.

They'll ask you to open the panel to see how everything at that end of each wire was done... and to open one or two device boxes to look at that end.

You can also count on them using a plug in polarity and GFI tester and if your area requires AFCI protction to check for that. They'll also check the overall grounding/bonding work.

If you're concerned...
then ask a handy friend to come by and check you beforehand.

hth
Thanks for the info. That gives me a clearer idea of what to expect.

FWIW, I've spent time at the library and online to make sure I know what all the rules are by the book, and asked for clarification on a few things when I went to get the permit. The work we have done has been very meticulous, and I'm proud of it. However, the suggestion to get someone else to double-check the p's and q's before I call an inspector is a good one.

Thanks!

-Richard
richshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 77

Don't be cheap with the romex staples. They don't cost that much!
deverson is offline   Reply With Quote