Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

House Monitoring Using Already Installed Alarm System

I bought a new home which had a DSC alarm system installed in it. Iím interested in setting up some kind of monitoring for my house. I could have used a local security company for monitoring, but they all require you to have a traditional phone. I donít have one; Iíve VOIP. I could opt for their wireless monitoring service, but it will cost me a fortune.

I was wondering if anybody knew of any equipment that I can use to connect my alarm system to an existing VOIP network or may be my internet service that would alert me if something happens at my house. I know that using internet is not a reliable option, but at least something is better than nothing. Can you please advise me as to how I can accomplish this goal on my own? Any advice would be greatly helpful.

Thanks,
John

kirridam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I don't see why the system cannot use the VoIP, since it "looks" just like a phone line to telephone, fax, etc devices.
Check this with your VoIP provider.

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

The best thing to do is call your VOIP provider and ask if there are any monitoring systems that their system is compatible with. That will save you a lot of time and research. A VOIP phone line does not "look" exactly like a traditional phone line to alarm systems and fax machines. It has something to do with the rate at with the information is sent over the line. There are also issues with the initial "handshake."

I was in your same position and opted for internet monitoring. You might want to look at a service from Next Alarm. Also, make sure your alarm has not been locked out by the company that installed it.
finnimus is offline   Reply With Quote