House Inspector Says An Ungrounded Socket Necessarily Mean Knob And Tube? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

House inspector says an ungrounded socket necessarily mean knob and tube?

Is this really true?

I have some ungrounded electrical sockets in my house. The house inspector says reported that means I have old know and tube wiring. And so the buyer says he wants $15,000 off the agreed upon price.

If it's not true, isn't there a way to see from the wires in the sockets, whether it is knob and tube?

In your reply could you please let me know whether you are a licensed electrician?

Advertisement

Quackerjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,486

They can tell by just going to the panel and looking at the wiring entering it, poking their head in a attic or crawl space, also by the age of the home. Or as simple as just looking at the outlets.

In this market, I would take anything from a buyer and let them deal with the rewiring of the K&T.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,512

Ungrounded could mean two things. Do you have two prong receptacles or do you have three prong receptacles that test no ground? How old is your house?
You can refuse and tell them to take it as is or leave. How hard up are you to sell?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
They can tell by just going to the panel and looking at the wiring entering it, poking their head in a attic or crawl space, also by the age of the home. Or as simple as just looking at the outlets.

In this market, I would take anything from a buyer and let them deal with the rewiring of the K&T.
Thanks for the reply but that doesn't answer my question.

The house inspector said "the fact that there is no ground means it is knob and tube wiring". He just plugged in that little ground detector to determine that.

BUT I had a prior inspector who was an actual city building inspector uncover a light switch cover plate and say that it's not knob and tube wiring.

I am trying to establish whether someone can validly say: "the fact that there is no ground means it is knob and tube wiring"
Old 11-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 632

The fact there is no ground does not automaticly mean it's knob and tube!
As stated a simple look in the attic, outlet, or under the house should be able to tell what it is.
Knob and tube looks nothing like any other type of wiring, so any nob can look at it and know.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...B0D51&first=75
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (11-13-2012), Quackerjack (11-12-2012), Speedy Petey (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Ungrounded could mean two things. Do you have two prong receptacles or do you have three prong receptacles that test no ground? How old is your house?
You can refuse and tell them to take it as is or leave. How hard up are you to sell?
What are the two things it could mean?

The sockets have three prongs that test with no ground.

I'm not hard up to sell but I want to deal with known facts.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
The fact there is no ground does not automaticly mean it's knob and tube!
As stated a simple look in the attic, outlet, or under the house should be able to tell what it is.
Knob and tube looks nothing like any other type of wiring, so any nob can look at it and know.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...B0D51&first=75
Excellent -- thank you for answering my question. I didn't think so. Unfortunately, I don't have an attic or areas with the wiring exposed. Any other way to tell?
Old 11-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerjack View Post
Thanks for the reply but that doesn't answer my question.

The house inspector said "the fact that there is no ground means it is knob and tube wiring". He just plugged in that little ground detector to determine that.

BUT I had a prior inspector who was an actual city building inspector uncover a light switch cover plate and say that it's not knob and tube wiring.

I am trying to establish whether someone can validly say: "the fact that there is no ground means it is knob and tube wiring"
What it really means (based on face value of just that statement), the inspector does not know his K&T from from his a$$ hole.

The existing part of my house does not have grounded outlets......I do NOT have K&T.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (11-12-2012), Quackerjack (11-12-2012), Speedy Petey (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,316

How old is the house?
Grounding type receptacles on an ungrounded circuit are a code violation, unless protected by gfci.

Just testing the receptacle will not tell if you have knob and tube, or an old 2 wire circuit.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

If it was a Home Inspector, he is a idiot. I would go by what the City Inspector stated, or even get them back in and if they are willing to sign off that the electrical meets the grandfathered codes for them, then go for it, and use it to negotiate the sale.

Again, with this market, people are willing to take anything to get the sale from the buyer.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerjack View Post
Excellent -- thank you for answering my question. I didn't think so. Unfortunately, I don't have an attic or areas with the wiring exposed. Any other way to tell?
Open up a outlet or even take the cover off of the breaker or fuse panel. How old is this house? As for the attic, if it is insulated, move some of the insulation and look.

As a homeowner, you should know what you house has for wiring, etc..
Old 11-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Open up a outlet or even take the cover off of the breaker or fuse panel. How old is this house? As for the attic, if it is insulated, move some of the insulation and look.

As a homeowner, you should know what you house has for wiring, etc..
Ok what am I looking for in the outlet box or breaker panel? I'm guessing that the fact of having the black wire and white wire coming out of a single sheathing means that it is not knob and tube but that's only my guess ...
Old 11-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

...just cause there is no ground wire doesn't mean it is K&T !!!! there is a ton of old 2 wire style romex out there...there are ways to make it safer......how old is your home??
Bobka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobka For This Useful Post:
Quackerjack (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobka View Post
...just cause there is no ground wire doesn't mean it is K&T !!!! there is a ton of old 2 wire style romex out there...there are ways to make it safer......how old is your home??
Thanks Bobka. I've since read recommendations to install GFCI outlets. Not sure on the house's age but the oldest part was once a small one bedroom house that's over 45 years in my estimation.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

You can check with the city, they would have record when it was built, and when any remodeling happened.

Advertisement

Tags
detect knob tube wiring