House Fan Started Running On Its Own! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

House fan started running on its own!

Hi folks,

I have a little problem in the attic at the moment.
I have both a house fan and an attic fan.

The house fan is a two speed (like 36") belt driven fan with an on/off and High/low switch (All with three wires) and the Attic Fan is thermostatically controlled and it has a regular switch mounted next to the thermostat that will turn off power to the attic fan. It is single speed and fed with just a hot and neutral.

The system is all fed from a single junction box with the hot going into a fire stat.

The power for the attic fan comes out of the same box and if my memory serves me....the attic fan will shut down if the house fan is on.

So...here is the deal. All of a sudden the house fan turned on..and did so by itself and seems to be running in the low position (possible slower than low - it doesn't sound quite right!)

If I turn house fan switch on and have it set for low nothing changes. If I turn it to high....it sounds very bad like the motor is getting heavily loaded.

If I Kill the attic fan with the kill switch or otherwise disconnect it, the House fan will work normally.

I have a call out to friend who is an electrician and I plan to get up there tonight to try to create a schematic...but can anyone give me a tip.

Thanks
Keith

Advertisement

Kamishki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamishki View Post
Hi folks,

I have a little problem in the attic at the moment.
I have both a house fan and an attic fan.

The house fan is a two speed (like 36") belt driven fan with an on/off and High/low switch (All with three wires) and the Attic Fan is thermostatically controlled and it has a regular switch mounted next to the thermostat that will turn off power to the attic fan. It is single speed and fed with just a hot and neutral.

The system is all fed from a single junction box with the hot going into a fire stat.

The power for the attic fan comes out of the same box and if my memory serves me....the attic fan will shut down if the house fan is on.

So...here is the deal. All of a sudden the house fan turned on..and did so by itself and seems to be running in the low position (possible slower than low - it doesn't sound quite right!)

If I turn house fan switch on and have it set for low nothing changes. If I turn it to high....it sounds very bad like the motor is getting heavily loaded.

If I Kill the attic fan with the kill switch or otherwise disconnect it, the House fan will work normally.

I have a call out to friend who is an electrician and I plan to get up there tonight to try to create a schematic...but can anyone give me a tip.

Thanks
Keith
My first hunch would be that it may be a problem with the neutral.
At least that's what I would look at first.

Advertisement

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
My first hunch would be that it may be a problem with the neutral.
At least that's what I would look at first.
On what basis would you decide this?
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
On what basis would you decide this?
A hunch!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

sounds more like the motors not getting the required voltage to me. sounds like it's trying to run but the juice just isn't there. throw a test on the power at each fan with the switches on and see what you get. There's obviously some sort of interlock between the two fans if one shuts down when the other is running. start with the attic fan and it's controls...seems to be the most likely culprit.

Last edited by andrew79; 06-02-2010 at 06:46 PM.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attic fan , whole house fan