Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #1

Share |

Hottub wiring

Let me first say that I am not planning to wire the hottub myself (a liscensed electrician will do it). But I have 2 questions:
  1. What I do want to do is pull the wire from the BreakerBox through the garage to the outside... what type of wire do I need?
  2. Do I need to do anything differently if the electricity will be turned on (this is new construction) and prior to the hottub being here (it is backordered)?
Also is there anything else that I need to look out for? ( I guess that makes it 3 questions...)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cabinjunkie; 08-08-2009 at 11:25 PM.
cabinjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Hottub wiring

I have no idea what the codes are in Canada for hot tubs..... There are a few people on this site that are good at Canadian code might need to wait a few days for them to respond.

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Hottub wiring

As an after thought do you know the electrical requirements of the hot tub? It would be better if you have those specifications that way the Canadian guys can also tell you wire size etc....

I hope you are serious about the electrician wiring this hot tub, maybe good idea if you ask him to.....

I would probably not like someone running the branch circuit for me but you certainly can give it a try. No doubt you can do this but the electrician might not care for it and your cost savings would be negligible.

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #4

Hottub wiring

Here are the specs:

Electrical requirements: 240 V/40 A GFCI breaker required
  • Dimensions (L x W x H):
    1.98 m x 1.98 m x 0.88 m
    (6.5 ft. x 6.5 ft. x 2.9 ft.)
  • Water capacity: 1,200 L (317 USG)
  • Dry weight: 317 kg (600 lb.)
  • Weight with water: 1,778 kg (3,920 lb.)
Yes Stubbie I am serious about the electician doing the work... all I signed up for was doing the "grunt" work, nothing even close to being serious work...

My electrician is on holidays, hence why I've turned to this site!
Old 08-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #5

Hottub wiring

Very specific codes for hot tubs in the US
No outlets within 5 feet
But an outlet needed "X" distance for use from tub
Shut off required within site of the tub
Insulated ground instead of a bare ground
Lots of other stuff
I'd get the info from your electrician since he is doing the final work
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #6

Hottub wiring

your backyard will also need a fence that meets specific dimensions with a gate & lock
Old 08-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #7

Hottub wiring

Here in the US, running the wiring is as important as any other part of the job. If the electrician lays out the job for you thats one thing. To take it upon yourself to run this circuit without the proper instructions would not be wise.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Hottub wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Here in the US, running the wiring is as important as any other part of the job. If the electrician lays out the job for you thats one thing. To take it upon yourself to run this circuit without the proper instructions would not be wise.
JV sum up good way and it don't matter where ya at it the same allover the place.

I have same issue with some of my customer do the grunt work and some case they do it wrong and I can't have that on my sholder when I get there so follow their instruction carefully and it will come out good.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Hottub wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Here in the US, running the wiring is as important as any other part of the job.
I COMPLETELY agree.
Why do folks think running the cable is basically "grunt work"? Only because it is the more physical part of the job?
This misguided philosophy could not be more wrong. There are plenty of important codes to be considered when simply running cable.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:06 PM   #10

Hottub wiring

if you are goind to have the cable run undergound, why not just prep the area and have him (or her) run it in for you. If you are going to hire someone, it wont cost that much more to have that person run the cable for you. I could answer your questions, as I have a copy of the 09 codebook here, but I need to know stuff like, how is it being run....how far from the panel...these things are taken into account for such things as voltage drop and whatnot. So a wee bit more info will be needed.
BCSparkyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #11

Hottub wiring

... doesn't DIY stand for DO-IT-YOURSELF ??? Why then all the grief for the people who are doing it themself????????????????????????????

I can tell you that I am sick of asking and sick of reading posts that have specific questions which are replied to with lots of completely unsolicited advice!

edited by Moderator
Old 09-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #12

Hottub wiring

Um, I asked for additional info, I did not mock you. I made some suggestions, as did everyone else. Now if you are going to have a temper tantrum because some of us say "leave it to the pro's" then well, I can't help you, however, if you would calm down, be a little more reasonable and provide the info we requested, then we can help you.

Yes, this is a DIY forum, but some things SHOULD NOT BE DONE YOURSELF! We have all attended training and are aware of certain things that may go wrong that you may never consider, and may not think of because "it seems so simple that a monkey must be able to do it" Well, sir, in the most simple of things can lie hidden dangers, that none of us wish to be responsible for advising you to do.
BCSparkyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #13

Hottub wiring

Relax dude. There are a lot of specifics involved and you haven't provided enough information to give a simple answer.

Speculation will accomplish nothing except wasting time. I could tell you to run an 8/3 with ground but I may be wrong. The 8/3 will allow for your 40 amp 240 volts but your code may reqire an insulated ground or you may have ommited a detail that would require a differnt type of cable.

Simply phone your electrician. He knows the specifics and can tell you what you need.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #14

Hottub wiring

The Pros' & experienced people are giving you advice based on their experience

#1 Hot Tubs have VERY specific rules & regulations for the installation
#2 Most of us are US based & do not know the specific Canadian codes
#3 Your electrician is the one that needs to specify what He/She wants/needs

Since you have not provided any information as to the Hot Tubs specific requirements that makes it even harder

You make a post & then dissappear for almost 4 weeks?
There are people that can help, but not with the limited info you have provided

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote