Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #1

Share |

hot water heater keeps tripping breaker

i have a rheem 55 gal. electric water heater that keeps tripping the 30 amp breaker. i have replaced the elements and thermostats, checked voltage coming in 240 volts, checked voltage to the thermo's and elements - 240 volts, checked for leaks to ground, and also checked the amps - 17.7. i have also replaced the breaker and it still trips. it does not trip imediatley, which makes it even more difficult. can anyone help?

tward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #2

i have a rheem 55 gal. electric water heater that keeps tripping the 30 amp breaker. i have replaced the elements and thermostats, checked voltage coming in 240 volts, checked voltage to the thermo's and elements - 240 volts, checked for leaks to ground, and also checked the amps - 17.7. i have also replaced the breaker and it still trips. it does not trip imediatley, which makes it even more difficult. can anyone help?

{2 threads on same subject merged}

tward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Master Electrician

what size wire is running to the tank. The first thing that comes to mind is that maybe it's a number 12 wire. That would work ok at 17.7A but as the wire heats up with the tank being on eventually it would overheat the wire and trip the breaker. I ran into the same problem with an A/C unit once.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #4

Turn off the 30 amp breaker or pull the disconnect right next to the WH. Open the connection box of the WH. Make sure all the connections are tight and nothing is loose. If you have a disconnect next to the WH check all the connections in it too.

If you cannot find any problems, disconnect the WH, at the connection box. If the breaker stops tripping you know it has to be in the WH itself or the wiring in the WH. Trial and error until you find the problem.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote