Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #1

Share |

Hot Water Heater

Hi folks I live in the country with our own drilled well. Water is good just high in iron. The problem I am having is the hot water. Every time I turn the shower on dark smelly water comes out for about a minute then clears up. I figured after five years maybe I should drain my tank which I am doing right now. Water was a touch dirty in the beginning but now clear. I have it hooked to an water softener so thinking that would help and I have to say it has. Now I am wondering since the water is clear draining maybe the dirty water is on the top and will soon come out the bottom as the water goes down not sure. So far nice clean hot water coming out the bottom. Anyways thought maybe some one else has the same problem as I am not sure if it is really safe to be showering in it and my family. We have as now just let it run for a minute till it clears then shower. Again just thought I would send this along always figure one is never to old to learn. Thanks George W

Georgeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #2

Hot Water Heater

All the rust would have been on the bottom of the tank.
Do you have steel plumbing?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #3

Hot Water Heater

Actually now that you mentioned that the only pipe in our house that isn't copper is one small piece that goes to the hot water tap on my tub where the problem is. I guess it was to hard to get at to change the rest of the house is all copper new lines throughout. I thought for sure when draining the tank it would be black water coming out and it was but for only a minute tops rest is nice and clear. So kind of thinking now that the water is ok in my tank and the tank is good along with the water. As I say we do have very hard water lots of iron but good water not unsafe to drink get it tested every six months for bacterial along with minerals and things. Kind of fussy on that being an old farmer here LOL Just seems to be some what black smelly water from the hot water tap in the tub the rest run clear all the time with no smell. Thanks for the reply got me thinking now. George
Georgeca is offline   Reply With Quote