Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hot tub wiring from main house

Hello all...
I am hoping this will be quick and easy scenerio here.

I need to run a 50 to 75 foot 8/3 w_ground from main house panel to outside subpanel box.

I was planning on using THHN indoor wire. I is going to run through the garage, into basement and near furnance. I am punching a hole through foundation and need 10 to 15 feet out past wall to subpanel box. I believe the wire is OK in the ceiling by itself, but not sure if I should use EMT, PVC or the Non-Metallic Liquid-Tight Flexible Conduit?

The subpanel will have a 50 amp gfci and the main panel in house will have 50 regular breaker. From the subpanel I was going to run 10 to 15 feet connections to the hottub. The dealer is supplying me the subpanel. The code in my area is subpanel needs to be more than 5 feet from tub but no more than 10 feet (but visible)

Could I use the same flexible pipe?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_69860-295-55...%7C1&facetInfo=

Also, the hole in the foundation of the house...should there be some kind of union? I have no idea what this is or looks like....

Besides all this...I am comfortable running and hooking up the cabling/breakers. Thanks for the help.

robmet1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Individual conductors, THHN/THWN must be in conduit for the entire run. If you use NM for the indoor portion, it must be #6 (6/3) for a 50A circuit. If you run individual conductors, the #8 will work.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,472

There is a 6' limit to the conduit you linked to. Normally this is reserved for usage under the tub skirt.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #4

Jim. You are saying I can only go 6 feet from sub-panel? Is this code for your area. I was told more than 5 less than 10 but the owners manual say not more than 50'. Haha. I guess ill get electrician over here. I've heard 4 different stories so far. Two from here and two from other friends. Thanks guys.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

I was talking about the length of the flex conduit and the 6' limit. You are correct that the disconnect can be no closer than 5' to the tub.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,014

Doesn't the 6-foot limit apply to metallic flex, not non-metallic flex? Where is that in the code? I thought NM flex was a general purpose raceway allowable in any length (though sloppy).
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #7

That is what I thought. I've definitely seen longer than 6 feet. The box has to be 5 feet from tub. So what we have 1 foot to make it to tub wiring port? The directions I got say I should have 15 feet of cable from rear of tub. The power needs fed to front. It should work out.

Electrician coming tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
There is a 6' limit to the conduit you linked to. Normally this is reserved for usage under the tub skirt.
Let's quote some pertinent sections of the Code

Quote:
356.10. Uses Permitted. LFNC shall be permitted to be used in exposed or concealed locations for the following purposes:

(5) Type LFNC-B shall be permitted to be installed in lengths longer than 6 ft where secured in accordance with 356.30.
So far, we have established you can use longer than 6 foot lengths ... (continuing)
Quote:
356.30. Securing and Supporting. Type LFNC-B shall be securely fastened and supposed in accordance with one of the following:

(1) Where installed in lengths exceeding 6 ft, the conduit shall be securely fastened at intervals not exceeding 3 ft, and within 12 in on each side of every outlet box, junction box, cabinet or fitting.

(2) Securing or supporting of the conduit shall not be required where it is fished ....
It's been my experience that most of the flex is "fished" once it enters the skirting of the hot tub, and you can bury the stuf between the disconnect and that entrance point, thus avoiding most of the "supporting" requirements.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Licensed electrician

The length limit is in 680.42(A)(1).

(1) Flexible Conduit. Liquidtight flexible metal conduit or
liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit shall be permitted
in lengths of not more than 1.8 m (6 ft).