Hot Tub Topside Rewire - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hot tub topside rewire

I have a topside control for a hot tub where the wire connector that connects to the circuit board has broken off. In this cold weather the wires were old and brittle and snapped off in the connector. I just need to know how to put the wires back into the connector. I have been able to remove the broken off pieces from inside the connector. I believe this is a pinout connector??? On the connector it says H-3 AMP and there are 8 locations on the connector. Is there a tool that is needed. I have plenty of wire to work with, just need to know how to install the wires back in. Thanks!

Advertisement

sdickinson20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Hot tub topside rewire

Please take a picture of what you are working with, amp does make special tools to disassemble connectors.

Advertisement

240sx4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #3

Hot tub topside rewire

Here are pics of the connector I need to reattach....please tell me what I need!
Attached Thumbnails
Hot tub topside rewire-conn-1.jpg   Hot tub topside rewire-conn-2.jpg   Hot tub topside rewire-conn-3.jpg  
Old 12-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #4

Hot tub topside rewire

Nice pictures.

Looks to me like you don't need much more than a punchdown tool. I can't see the wire end but I use connectors similar to this at work on the equipment I service. The little metal "blades" you can see on the back of the connector are intended to pierce the insulation.

This video does a nice job of illustrating assembly of a phone jack connector, which is similar. You don't need the fancy tool he has but if you look at the tip of the tool he is using you can get an idea of what you need to make/modify/use to fix the connection.

Best of luck.

Evan
Old 12-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #5

Hot tub topside rewire

Gonna stop and get one today and give it a shot! Thanks! You saved me a nice large electric bill...apprecciate it!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #6

Hot tub topside rewire

Good luck, I think you can get a tool like that without the spring loaded part to save a few bucks. Honestly with the way everything is going connector wise it's not a bad idea to own a punchdown tool though. Just be careful in that those amp connectors may not be as sturdy as the ones in the youtube video, don't distort or crush it on accident.

Let us know how the repair goes.

Evan
Old 12-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #7

Hot tub topside rewire

It kinda worked. The punchdown tools that are available are too big for the connector I have. When I put them all in only some of the features worked. Then tried to strip some of the wire before I punched them in and more of them worked but not all. I am womdering if I can take this to a computer repair place anthey may have the proper punch tool. Thanks for the info, it got me in the right direction.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #8

Hot tub topside rewire

Yeah I wasn't sure how large it is. Now that you understand how it goes back together I am sure someone can help you out though.

Good luck!

Advertisement