Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hot Tub/SPA Wiring

I am in the process of drywalling my laundry room but there is a mess of wires running through it, extra wires running across the joists and not properly strapped. Tracing some of these wires to see if I can remove them leads to more of a mess of wires in the shed. The wiring here powers a flourescent light, electrical outlet and a spa. For the spa connection, there are two NMD90 14/2 wires plus an added single wire and it appears only one of the NMD90 connects to the spa and a third single wire was added afters for the second hot connection. There is also a heavy duty wire running into the shed with what is marked 250V to a plug. I should also include pictures of the subpanel where these wires run. Assuming the 250V wire is ok, I think I should reroute this to the hot tub and rip out the two NMD90 and single wire. Thoughts on this?? I'll post pics of the subpanel connection when I get a chance. Does anyone know what that 250V plug is for??
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Tub/SPA Wiring-dsc03278-small-.jpg   Hot Tub/SPA Wiring-dsc03281-small-.jpg  

Last edited by neilvc; 09-04-2012 at 02:32 AM.
neilvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,010

Hot Tub/SPA Wiring

All of that is really bad. I actually can't think of any part of this which is code compliant. Wrong wire types, wrong wiring methods, all wrong. It really needs to all be ripped out and replaced from the beginning.

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hot Tub/SPA Wiring

I think I'm going to get rid of the spa and rip out all the wiring. Not worth it to rewire it properly for an old spa. Thanks for the input.
neilvc is offline   Reply With Quote