Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #1

Share |

hot tub gfi breaker tripping

my hot tub 50 amp square d gfi breaker will not reset. I moved it to my range 50 amp breaker and it still trips. Is it faulty?

ricardoarmijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #2

Sounds like something shorted to ground, may take some searching to find. You'll have to get a meter and start unhooking each component at a time and test it. I had to do this on ours and it turned out to be the heater, which is actually a pretty common part to cause this problem.
I guess start with the heater first.

sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #3

Now that I've re read your post, are you saying that you tested the GFI to your range, or did your wire the hot tub to the range breaker temporarily? Your gonna have to repost something more clear, I may have jumped the gun on my reply.
sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Pump or heater are the two first places I would be looking at.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post
Now that I've re read your post, are you saying that you tested the GFI to your range, or did your wire the hot tub to the range breaker temporarily? Your gonna have to repost something more clear, I may have jumped the gun on my reply.
I removed the 50amp breaker for my range, which is a standard breaker, and inserted the 50 amp GFI hot tub breaker in the space of the range breraker.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
Licensed Electrician

To test the breaker on the range circuit, you would need to remove the neutral of the range circuit from the neutral bar and install it on the breaker. Then run the neutral pigtail from the GFI breaker to the neutral bar.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
NJMarine (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #7

Let's start with: What is the make and model of hot tub?

Reinstall the GFCI breaker and wire it to the hot tub. Make certain the LOAD NEUTRAL (usually the white wire) from the hot tub is connected to the breaker (Some 220V tubs only have 3 wires so there may not be a neutral wire).

Try to engage the breaker. If it trips, unplug or otherwise disconnect components one at a time until the breaker stays on. Start with the ozonator (if you have one) then the blower (if you have one) then the pump(s).

If you have all the components unplugged and the breaker still trips, disconnect the heater. If the breaker stays on you have a bad heater. Leave the heater disconnected.

TURN THE POWER OFF and reconnect all the other components.

Turn the power back on. If everything else works you have a bad heater which is the most common cause of GFCI tripping in hot tubs.
Tomedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
To test the breaker on the range circuit, you would need to remove the neutral of the range circuit from the neutral bar and install it on the breaker. Then run the neutral pigtail from the GFI breaker to the neutral bar.
Thanks K Buz for that info. I did what you said and the breaker does turn on the range with out tripping.
When the breaker was on the hot tub circuit, (the hot tub has a separate panel box at a different location), the neutral from the hot tub circuit was on the neutral bar, not on the breaker. I have had the hot tub for over seven years and has worked fine all this time.
RicardoArmijo
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoarmijo View Post
Thanks K Buz for that info. I did what you said and the breaker does turn on the range with out tripping.
When the breaker was on the hot tub circuit, (the hot tub has a separate panel box at a different location), the neutral from the hot tub circuit was on the neutral bar, not on the breaker. I have had the hot tub for over seven years and has worked fine all this time.
RicardoArmijo
That would be correct because your hot tub is only 240 volts and has no neutral for 120 volt loads. In this screnario a neutral is ran to the spa box from the main/sub panel and is connected to the neutral bar ... not to the breaker. The curly pigtail from the gfci breaker is then connected to the neutral bar of the spa box. It should look like this ....
Attached Thumbnails
hot tub gfi breaker tripping-240-gfci-spa-1.jpg  

Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote