Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hot tub disconnect to shed

Hey everyone! I have really enjoyed reading the posts on this board. I have a question:

I am wanting to run power to a shed. I believe that the easiest way to do this would be to use the lines already ran from the main breaker to the back of the house for a hot tub (I don't have a hot tub, it was there when I bought the house). What do I need to do from a technical standpoint to use the hot tub disconnect (60 amp breaker at the main) to power the shed? I don't think I need that much power, but would it be easier to go ahead and run a #6 to a subpanel in the shed, or change out the breaker at the main? If i changed the breaker, would I have to change the existing wiring?

bjturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 20

You can use a smaller breaker with a larger capacity wire but not vice-versa. You need to tell us how many circuits and what loads you need at the shed to get a recommendation.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the response!

I am basically going to use the shed as an office. I will have several computers, printers, television, monitors, that sort of thing. I don't envision using a lot of power tools, as I do most of that sort of thing in the garage.

How would you hook this up-i.e., what gauge of wire do you believe is appropriate, what breaker size would I change the 60 amp breaker to, and would a disconnect or sub panel be needed in the shed?

Thanks for you responses in advance.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

For use as an office, you are going to need heat and air conditioning. I would plan on insulating the building first. How far from the house (and breaker panel) is the shed?

You are probably going to need a 30 to 40 amp sub panel bare minimum.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles
For use as an office, you are going to need heat and air conditioning. I would plan on insulating the building first. How far from the house (and breaker panel) is the shed?

You are probably going to need a 30 to 40 amp sub panel bare minimum.
Very true, forgot to include those. I will be using an Edenpure heater and basically a window unit for heat/air. It is about 20 yards from the house (where the existing hot tub disconnect is located) and 35 yards from the panel.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

I will assume the existing run to the spa disconnect is 4 wire (2 hots-neutral and ground) (you need to verify this). I would run 8/3 UF cable or 4 #8 THWN in PVC conduit. Change breaker in main panel to a 40 amp 2 pole. Install a small sub panel in the shed with 2 ground rods. Trench needs to be 24" for cable or 18" for conduit. You will need a permit and have your work inspected.

If all of this sounds too complicated- consider hiring a pro.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles
I will assume the existing run to the spa disconnect is 4 wire (2 hots-neutral and ground) (you need to verify this). I would run 8/3 UF cable or 4 #8 THWN in PVC conduit. Change breaker in main panel to a 40 amp 2 pole. Install a small sub panel in the shed with 2 ground rods. Trench needs to be 24" for cable or 18" for conduit. You will need a permit and have your work inspected.

If all of this sounds too complicated- consider hiring a pro.
Sounds good. Do I simply splice the newly ran cable or THWN into the existing 4-wire? Why do I need two ground rods? Thanks for your help.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
A "Handy Husband"

Use the spa disconnect as a junction box. 2 ground rods are a code requirement.