Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hot tub connection to bonding grid

Hi,

I have recently purchased a used hot tub that I am going to install on my back patio. I have the 50 amp GFCI disconnect in place, 1-1/4" PVC conduit run to near where the tub connections will be and will transition to 1" liquidtight flexible conduit for the tub entrance all the way to the electrical connections inside the tub (about 1' outside tub and about 13' inside the skirting). When my patio was poured a few months ago, I installed an 8 gauge solid copper wire to the rebar so it can be properly bonded. I am wondering how I should get the wire into the hot tub skirting - drill a hole and caulk, sleeve it in conduit, etc.

Here's a picture of the install so far:

The bonding wire comes out from under the slab against the house. The hot tub will sit between the deck posts right next to the set closest to the house. The back side of the tub will face where the picture is taken from. I was thinking about slipping some of the wire back under the slab to come out at the edge of the tub and then drilling a small hole through the skirting to pass it in. Thanks for your thoughts!

bolt in blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

From my experience all you need to do is neatly route the bare conductor to the terminal on the tub. Use listed connectors for rebar to copper. You may need to bond the support posts too. I am not sure. I would discuss this with the inspector and see what he wants you to do. This way there will be no confusion.
Good thinking on the addition of the rebar electrode system. I would hope this would eliminate the need for a equipotential bonding grid? But your inspector is really the only one who can tell you what he wants.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks J.V.! The rebar grid is supposed to take the place of the bonding grid.
bolt in blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bonding, electrical, hot tub, spa