Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Hot Tub & Bonding

I have what I imagine is a very basic question, but I haven't been able to find reliable information & instruction.

Installing a hottub, and have completed the wiring. 50a breaker in the main panel. 4 THHN 6awg wires (3+Ground) running to this GFCI load center. Wires are run in RNM conduit. Run continues to the hot tub (2+Ground for this particular tub) in RMC up to the skirt, then liquatite (< 5') into the tub. I don't think I make any mistakes there.

I know the tub also needs to be bonded and this is where I would really appreciate some direction. I've read I might need 8awg bare copper...and that's all the detail I've found. Could someone please spell out for me exactly what I'm supposed to do to make sure this is properly bonded?

The tub is outside, on a 4" concrete slab. Its set into a wooden deck. There are no metal anything within 10+ feet of the tub.

I can/will ask the inspector (yes, this will be inspected) and I'm sure he'll tell me what he's looking for. But I'd like to keep things moving and have it right before he shows up.

Thank you in advance. Happy to provide more info or pictures if that will help.

sorebikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Hot Tub & Bonding

My local inspector has told me that prepackaged spa units do not need an equipotential bonding grid.

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #3

Hot Tub & Bonding

I would think the concrete slab and tub might need to be bonded (usually done when poured to the rebar). Best to ask inspector before you place the tub IMO since their opinions seem to vary from one another and from which code version they are enforcing.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #4

Hot Tub & Bonding

So those are my questions. I figured it was less critical to have the tub bonded to the slab since the deck is 2.75' above the slab, and completely walled off (no one is likely to ever walk on the slab). If it needs to be bonded to the slab, then I'll need to chip away some of the slab to get to the rebar. Not the end of the world, but a pain in the butt I'd like to avoid. If I need to bury some sort of bonding ring around the tub, that's also possible.

brric - I really hope you turn out to be right.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
Master Electrician

Hot Tub & Bonding

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebikr View Post
So those are my questions. I figured it was less critical to have the tub bonded to the slab since the deck is 2.75' above the slab, and completely walled off (no one is likely to ever walk on the slab). If it needs to be bonded to the slab, then I'll need to chip away some of the slab to get to the rebar. Not the end of the world, but a pain in the butt I'd like to avoid. If I need to bury some sort of bonding ring around the tub, that's also possible.

brric - I really hope you turn out to be right.
Tell the inspector there is a T.I.A. Temporary interim amendement.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brric For This Useful Post:
NJMarine (09-16-2011), sorebikr (09-16-2011)
Old 09-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #6

Hot Tub & Bonding

I would not be able to quote code, but what does the Spa installation instructions say? I can say for the brand I have, Hot Springs, there is no bonding involved. Just the ground to the specified location in the electronic control box from the spa sub-pannel.
daveplot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #7

Hot Tub & Bonding

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveplot View Post
I would not be able to quote code, but what does the Spa installation instructions say? I can say for the brand I have, Hot Springs, there is no bonding involved. Just the ground to the specified location in the electronic control box from the spa sub-pannel.
I'll double check this weekend if there's anything specifically listed. Its a Sundance tub, and I don't remember finding anything in the online PDF but I'll look again.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #8

Hot Tub & Bonding

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Tell the inspector there is a T.I.A. Temporary interim amendement.
I'll try that.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:32 AM   #9

Hot Tub & Bonding

The TIA is for the 2011 NEC. It can be found here.

http://www.nfpa.org/Assets/files/Abo...TIA70-11-1.pdf

Many jurisdictions are on 2005 or 2008 NEC, 2006 or 2009 IRC: so the TIA may not apply.

If so, you may still need a Equipotential Bonding Grid according to 680.26.

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code05 For This Useful Post:
sorebikr (09-19-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #10
Licensed electrician

Hot Tub & Bonding

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveplot View Post
I don't see how the instructions not mentioning the bonding would relieve the installer of not following the NEC.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #11

Hot Tub & Bonding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
I don't see how the instructions not mentioning the bonding would relieve the installer of not following the NEC.
They don't.

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bonding, hottub