Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hot tub

hello all hope you can shed some light on this for us as we cant figure it out. my friend put in a hot tub on a slab, no rebar or anything in it, ran 4 wire to a control box with a gfci, then to the 3 wire tub. everything seems to be bonded and wired correctly, but when you touch the water while standing outside of the tub, you get a small poke, and this just seemed to start reciently as they have been using it for 4 or more months through the winter. any ideas....thanks

Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 36

Hot tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
hello all hope you can shed some light on this for us as we cant figure it out. my friend put in a hot tub on a slab, no rebar or anything in it, ran 4 wire to a control box with a gfci, then to the 3 wire tub. everything seems to be bonded and wired correctly, but when you touch the water while standing outside of the tub, you get a small poke, and this just seemed to start reciently as they have been using it for 4 or more months through the winter. any ideas....thanks
My guess is that you are feeling voltage drop of the neutral conductor or a bad neutral connection on either primary or secondary, I would call the power company first to rule that out. If the issue is infact voltage drop, then the only way to eliminate that would be to install a equipotential bonding grid... i would get a meter and place one lead into the water, and earth and just see how many volts we are talking about. One sure thing to do is to test for voltage in the water, turn off the main breaker at the panel, then retest for voltage, if the voltage goes away, you know the problem exists within the dwelling unit.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 05-05-2013 at 01:44 PM.
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #3

Hot tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
My guess is that you are feeling voltage drop of the neutral conductor or a bad neutral connection on either primary or secondary, I would call the power company first to rule that out. If the issue is infact voltage drop, then the only way to eliminate that would be to install a equipotential bonding grid... i would get a meter and place one lead into the water, and earth and just see how many volts we are talking about.
ya we did that....nothing wrong on that end....how can i put this grid up now that he's already got the cement poured
Old 05-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Hot tub

Quote:
ya we did that....nothing wrong on that end....how can i put this grid up now that he's already got the cement poured
I edited my post... worth a re-read.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

Hot tub

Quote:
If this problem was non existing, then all of a sudden existing, that tells me something has changed, and power companies are TERRIBLE at troubleshooting their own system looking for small problems like these... at least the cases that I have come across.... First thing I would do is find out where this voltage is coming from. Turn the main breaker off, and re-test for this voltage, installing a EBG would probably cost more than the tub itself, a cheaper alternative would be to install rubber mats 3' around the outside edge of the tub.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 05-05-2013 at 02:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (05-05-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #6

Hot tub

Quote:
My guess is that you are feeling voltage drop of the neutral conductor or a bad neutral connection on either primary or secondary, I would call the power company first to rule that out. If the issue is infact voltage drop, then the only way to eliminate that would be to install a equipotential bonding grid... i would get a meter and place one lead into the water, and earth and just see how many volts we are talking about. One sure thing to do is to test for voltage in the water, turn off the main breaker at the panel, then retest for voltage, if the voltage goes away, you know the problem exists within the dwelling unit.
with the power off, you can still feel the shock. i'm thinking something to do with the heating element or motor, but a tub repair man came out and had no clue.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
E2 Electrician

Hot tub

Quote:
with the power off, you can still feel the shock. i'm thinking something to do with the heating element or motor, but a tub repair man came out and had no clue.
If the main breaker is OFF and you still feel a shock, then you have a utility issue, in most cases if you have an underground service, you also have a failing neutral conductor...
jbfan (05-05-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
E2 Electrician

Hot tub

Quote:
with the power off, you can still feel the shock. i'm thinking something to do with the heating element or motor,
If the power is off, how could the heater possibly be an issue?
Speedy Petey (05-05-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 22

Hot tub

I had a service call like that one time.
With the main off, you still had voltage from the water to the earth.
Called poco out, and they found nothing.
A few days later the customer called me and said there was some fresh digging in her yard and a tag installed on he main breaker.

I went over an no more voltage to the earth, and I cut the tag off her breaker.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
E2 Electrician

Hot tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
I had a service call like that one time.
With the main off, you still had voltage from the water to the earth.
Called poco out, and they found nothing.
A few days later the customer called me and said there was some fresh digging in her yard and a tag installed on he main breaker.

I went over an no more voltage to the earth, and I cut the tag off her breaker.
I normally have to make repeated calls to the power company until they send a 'qualified' person to find the issue... a lot of the underground feeders they ran back in the day have concentric neutrals, direct buried, the life span is about 20-30 years...
Old 05-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #11

Hot tub

Quote:
I normally have to make repeated calls to the power company until they send a 'qualified' person to find the issue... a lot of the underground feeders they ran back in the day have concentric neutrals, direct buried, the life span is about 20-30 years...
this is an above ground service and good connections as far as i can tell. could be the transformer on the pole. i could try them again