Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

hot tub

I am looking to hook up a hot tub sitting on my property safely. It is a 220v and I was wdering if you can hook it up to a 120 system in any way? If not how do I get power to it?

rockerwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,054

hot tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerwannabe View Post
I am looking to hook up a hot tub sitting on my property safely. It is a 220v and I was wdering if you can hook it up to a 120 system in any way? If not how do I get power to it?
Only way to hook it up safely would be with an experienced electrician. It is true this is a diy site but your questions and lack of detail about the tubs specifications and your experience lends me to defer you to a professional.

Last edited by Stubbie; 07-30-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

hot tub

Lol, granted I did not give much info on the tub but that is because I know nothing about it. It is a hunk that has been sitting on my property for years and I just now fixed it up. I am not a novice to electrical work, I have dealt with 120v my whole life the only issue, I have is that I have dealt with 220v and I had a basic question that I layed out sorry I was not more specific. The only things I can tell you really is that it is 220v and there is only three leads which is what made me think it was odd because I have a friend that told me there should be four....
rockerwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:58 AM   #4
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,056

hot tub

Quote:
Lol, granted I did not give much info on the tub but that is because I know nothing about it. It is a hunk that has been sitting on my property for years and I just now fixed it up. I am not a novice to electrical work, I have dealt with 120v my whole life the only issue, I have is that I have dealt with 220v and I had a basic question that I layed out sorry I was not more specific. The only things I can tell you really is that it is 220v and there is only three leads which is what made me think it was odd because I have a friend that told me there should be four....
whats the voltage on the nameplate say? How can anyone say anything without looking at that first?
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:02 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 510

hot tub

If this is a 220 volt hot tub, You will need to run a 220/240 volt line out to the site. This will need to be GFCI protected with proper disconnect switches etc. You will also need to set up a correct bonding system around the hot tub. I would suggest you start with NEC 680.4 and read from there what the requirements are for installing a hot tub.

As for the original question, no, you can not hook this up to 120 unless the equipment is rated for it. Please provide us with more info on the pump motor, heater and electrical requirements of this unit.

Last edited by danpik; 07-31-2012 at 01:39 PM.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,004

hot tub

Anyone that has dealt with 120 his whole life, knows more about 240 than 120.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,032

hot tub

Quote:
Just reading this suggests it would be WELL within your best interest to hire an electrician to do this job.

The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
stickboy1375 (07-31-2012)