Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to Bocolo

Hot and Neutral at Service Panel

Hello,
Is it ok to wire a service panel in this manner? I am talking about having the wires come from below, running them inside the panel, and then turning them on top and connecting the two hots to the main breaker and the neutral to the neutral bar. The reason I ask is because this panel currently only has 4 circuits, so right now it looks good. But what happens when I add another 15 to 20 breakers? It just seems to me that these wires (service entrance cables?) are taking too much space. I tried installing an AFCI breaker yesterday (they are much longer than a regular breaker) and was not able to install it on the right hand side because the neutral cable was on the way. I already talked to the electrician but I want to have my facts straight when he comes back. I can take a better picture if these are not too clear. Thanks for your time and input.
Attached Thumbnails
Hot and Neutral at Service Panel-0115091406.jpg   Hot and Neutral at Service Panel-0115091406a.jpg   Hot and Neutral at Service Panel-0115091313.jpg  

Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,032

It is fine. Stupid, but perfectly fine.
Some electricians still cannot get over that old-school "upside down panel" syndrome.

As long as the main breaker moves from side to side, as most every new MB panel does, it is perfectly legal and safe to install the panel with the main breaker on the bottom.
There is no such thing as upside down.

If it is already installed I don't think I'd ask them to change it though.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

you should have flipped the panels ....that looks like garbage anyway, so i wouldn't worry
NolaTigaBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaTigaBait View Post
you should have flipped the panels ....that looks like garbage anyway, so i wouldn't worry
If it looks like garbage I definitely need to worry. I know you are looking at pictures during the install but what is it exactly that makes you call this work garbage? Thanks.

Last edited by Bocolo; 03-09-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Bocolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #5

Quote:
There is no such thing as upside down.

If it is already installed I don't think I'd ask them to change it though
Speedy,
Why would I not ask him to change it? If I put the panel upside down would not the main breaker be backwards? I mean "Off" would be on the left position. Or can you switch the main also? I am not questioning you just trying to understand. My only concern is not having room to install all the future circuits that will need to be there. I talked to the electrician today and he said he will come over and take a look but that he is certain there is more than enough room. I just need to know I am sure what I am talking about before I go questioning his methods. Thanks for your time and input.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocolo View Post
Speedy,
Why would I not ask him to change it? If I put the panel upside down would not the main breaker be backwards? I mean "Off" would be on the left position. Or can you switch the main also? I am not questioning you just trying to understand. My only concern is not having room to install all the future circuits that will need to be there. I talked to the electrician today and he said he will come over and take a look but that he is certain there is more than enough room. I just need to know I am sure what I am talking about before I go questioning his methods. Thanks for your time and input.
Left and right do not matter. The Code makes no distinction. Only up and down. If the breaker handle moves vertically, then on must be up. Turn them over and save some wire and room.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #7

Thanks InPhase, did not know that. Thanks for your time.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #8

Yup. What Inphase said.

I see this all the time. Some guys just cannot break the habit of always putting the main breaker at the top. Putting it at the bottom just seems wrong to them.

Must be they never did much commercial work. Commercial and industrial panels you have to order with the main breaker or feed lugs either top or bottom. It's been like that almost forever.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #9

Thanks Speedy, very helpful as always. Since it is legal to install this way I guess I don't have much choice to accept it this way. I am still concern with all the new circuits that need to go in there. Would it be worth it to pay again and have it turned the other way around? Thanks for your time.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #10

Worth it? That's hard to say or put a price on.

I see panels like this all the time.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #11

Thanks. I will have a discussion with the electrician in a couple of weeks. See what he thinks. Thanks for your time and input.