Hospital Grade Receptacles In Residential - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hospital Grade Receptacles in Residential

I'm looking to replace the receptacles throughout my house (1950s vintage), and I was going to go with commercial grade (to get a step above the residential grades that loosen up after a few years). My local distributor is selling hospital grade receptacles for a few more cents than the commercial grades, so I was thinking about outfitting my house with hospital grade outlets.

Any reason why this might not be a good idea? I was thinking maybe the extra plug retention would be a bad idea in the face of kids (or others) yanking things out by their cords, but I'm not sure that would be an actual problem. Just trying to brainstorm any- and everything.

Thanks!

Advertisement

cerfsud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerfsud
I'm looking to replace the receptacles throughout my house (1950s vintage), and I was going to go with commercial grade (to get a step above the residential grades that loosen up after a few years). My local distributor is selling hospital grade receptacles for a few more cents than the commercial grades, so I was thinking about outfitting my house with hospital grade outlets.

Any reason why this might not be a good idea? I was thinking maybe the extra plug retention would be a bad idea in the face of kids (or others) yanking things out by their cords, but I'm not sure that would be an actual problem. Just trying to brainstorm any- and everything.

Thanks!

Overkill I don't see the point but hey it's your house I'm assuming you don't mean IG outlets.

Advertisement

Last edited by Julius793; 01-26-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Julius793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerfsud View Post
I'm looking to replace the receptacles throughout my house (1950s vintage)...
Does this mean they are 2 slot ungrounded devices? With no ground pin?
Do you have a ground wire in those boxes now to attach modern devices to?
iow... Be prepared to pull all new wire through the house.

Quote:
I was going to go with commercial grade...
Any reason why this might not be a good idea? Bad? meh; Wasteful indulgence? yeah
Use regular (resi grade TR) devices. In a few years, if you find that one or two have become weak from overuse... then sure, replace those one or two.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #4

No, not isolated ground. Yeah, the existing outlets are 2-prongs or ungrounded 3-prongs. The house is wired in BX and the boxes are metal, so I'll be installing ground pigtails to the boxes for now. A whole-house rewire is somewhere down the road.

My house has just under 30 outlets, so the total cost to go from residential to the hospital grades the distributor is selling is under $40, which I don't think is bad. Slightly less if I stuck with commercial grade.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 664

Sounds like somethings way off on that price.
I can buy standard outlets for .78 cents apiece if I buy them in the contractors case.
As mentioned that's a lot more money for outlets then you need to be paying.
At most you may have to end up replacing one or two outlets over the life of the home if you stayed with standard outlets.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
My house has just under 30 outlets, so the total cost to go from residential to the hospital grades the distributor is selling is under $40, which I don't think is bad. Slightly less if I stuck with commercial grade.
The comparison to make is vs standard resi grade...
but it's your money... make yourself happy.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 732

Aren't hospital grade bright orange in color? That might require a spouse's opinion before dotting the white walls with bright orange outlets....
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousB View Post
Aren't hospital grade bright orange in color? That might require a spouse's opinion before dotting the white walls with bright orange outlets....
Only the ones on backup emergency power.
zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousB
Only IG outlets are
Old 01-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #10

The part they quoted me for hospital grade was a Leviton 8200-SGW. They're white with the green hospital dot, and have received wife approval.

Seeing the opposition here, maybe I'll just go with commercial grade. My hesitation with residential grade was that in the last place I lived in, which was only a few years old, there were several outlets already that could barely hold a plug, and they did not see what I would define as heavy use (maybe a vacuum cleaner plugging in twice a week).
Old 01-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,354

Buy whatever you want. It's your money and I doubt it will bankrupt ya. I always try to buy quality, just because, even if it isn't smart money wise.
zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 256

I'm going to disagree with most and saying that going above the standard grade outlet is a no brainer. Why buy an outlet for.39 knowing it may fail when a one dollar outlet will last much longer. I know my time is worth something. Go with commercial outlets, if you can get hospital grade for a penny or two more, go for it, but unless your time is worth nothing, get yourself a decent receptacle.
michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
...in the last place I lived in, which was only a few years old, there were several outlets already that could barely hold a plug...
Not to beat a dead horse... but what about the OTHER 28 receptacles in that house?
Did the pattern of use warrant a super heavy duty device for them as well?

Use regular (resi grade TR) devices throughout.
In a few years, if you find that one or two of these have become weak from overuse...
then sure, replace those one or two. Then.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:20 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 137

I was going to post a similar question .... My home is from 1965 and I have many ungrounded two-prong receptacles in metal boxes. I planned on adding grounding pigtails and updating the outlets to commercial or hospital grade. Did you end up doing this? How did it work out for you? Did you encounter any issues? Thank you

From my research, the difference in price from residential to commercial is just about double.
Jim Ignatowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 664

Unless you have someone living in your home that is counting on something such as an O2 generator or some other medical device that's life or death that would be one huge waste of money to replace outlets with hospital grade.
We own three house, 2 are 50 years old and are rentals.
Total number of outlets changed in all of them because of falure, 1.
And that was in the garage where the outlet cracked because I tripped over a power cord that was pluged in.

Even if one did fail it's a 10 min. job to change one.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
grade , hospital , house , receptacle , residential