Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #1

Share |

Horse Barn Wiring - Pole Barn

Hello...wiring horse barn from 200 amp service panel.

BARN:
36' x 60'
7 stalls (12' x 12')
Heated Tack Room (12' x 24')
Storage Room/Stairs (12' x 12')
Hay Loft over main aisle (18' x 60")

My question is what is the best way to run the main runs of conduit and the drops to receptacles/lights?
--- plan on using 3/4" conduit for mains and 1/2" for drops.
Should I run the mains up to the loft, across the rafters on each side of the barn and then run along the sides of the floor joists or drop down into wall cavities to get to where I need to drop down for receptacles/lights? (If I run across the rafters, I can run on the 1x side rather than drill through anything, correct?)
---OR should I run through the floor joists (drill holes) to where I need to go for receptacles/lights --- I'd like to limit the drilling though.
---Any other ideas on a plan for running conduit?

--Also, as I run down into walls that will be enclosed with SYP (e.g. tack room), I've been told that it's a good idea to keep the wire inside conduit even though you are running wire INSIDE a wall that will be enclosed--to protect against any possibility of a rodent getting at the wires---especially in a horse barn to limit any disasters...conduit inside walls - do you agree for safety????
----If i do run conduit inside enclosed walls, how do I connect to each electrical box? --- through the back? -- how will the conduit go into the box if not going through the top of the box with a lock nut?

Thanks in advance for advice!
hagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
the Musigician

I think you should call the city elec. insp. and ask a few questions. All the horse barns around here I've been in seem to have all the conduit on the outsides of the stalls and up in the air. The wiring inside the walls would be more readily accessible to rodent damage since they can gnaw with impunity, whereas if it's "out in the room", they tend to avoid them. The new NEC has numerous new codes for outbuildings, so be careful, and good luck!

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Also here they don't tax pole barns but once you run power to it that changes.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #4

Called inspector. He said conduit inside walls is ok and does protect against rodents. I do need sch 80 conduit above grade. For # of conductors in 3/4 conduit and other specs he said to look at nec article 547 Does anyone know where I can look at that? Links in a post today did not work. Where can I get a copy of article 547?
Thanks again
hagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagler View Post
Called inspector. He said conduit inside walls is ok and does protect against rodents. I do need sch 80 conduit above grade. For # of conductors in 3/4 conduit and other specs he said to look at nec article 547 Does anyone know where I can look at that? Links in a post today did not work. Where can I get a copy of article 547?
Thanks again

Here is a page that was refereed to me once lots of great info.

http://www.jhlarson.com/ind_tables/ind_table.htm
Old 03-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

The other thing with horse barns there is a addtional codes it may come up in your state as well.

For the luminaire choice .,, all the luminarie have to enclosed no open bulbs luminaire at all.

My perfered choice is this ( photo showen below )

That luminarie above the most common bulb I use is F32T8 they are pretty bright and they last long time ( much better than CFL are )

And pay attetion to where put the luminaire at due the horse can wreck it so just be aware where you install it.

For the receptale location just find it where the horse will not hit them ( I useally mount them up pretty high or find a loctation where the horse will not hit it < I have see few cows do some damage as well > )

As far for the conduit fill you will have to use the chart to see how many conductors you can able to use in the conduit but normally I don't useally go over 6 CCC so that way I leave some room to add in future.

Merci,
Marc