Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hook-up 2 Kilns

I intend to hook both Kilns (44 amp, 22 amp) up myself. I plan on installing a 100 amp subpanel ~40' from the main circuit panel and ~10' from the kilns to handle both kilns and additional switches/ receptacles. I'm planning on installing 100 amp breaker in the main and use 3AWG to feed the subpanel. I also plan to install dedicated fusible disconnects between the sub-panel and each kiln. Is 6 AWG 60c adequate for the install of the 44 amp kiln (w/ 50 amp breaker) or should I move up to a 60 amp breaker and the same for the disconnect and 4 AWG for that Kiln?

Similarly, for the 22 amp kiln, is 30 amp breaker and 10 AWG adequate? If I used a 40 amp breaker and 40 amp disconnect, does that create the possibility of an overheating hazard with the kiln, since it would permit current to keep flowing in case of a problem with the kiln up to the larger amperage draw?

I would like opinions on the best/ safest way to install these hookups? Is a larger breaker and greater capacity wire a good thing in the case of kilns (since you minimize the risk of a shut-off during a firing, or do I want to size it closer to the amp rating of the kiln (+ 25% buffer)?

Thanks

taflaherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Hook-up 2 Kilns

Quote:
Originally Posted by taflaherty View Post
I intend to hook both Kilns (44 amp, 22 amp) up myself.
I plan on installing a 100 amp subpanel...
I would like opinions on the best/ safest way to install these hookups?
Each kiln needs it's own circuit with correct sized wire and matching plug/receptacle (or disconnect).
Each of those (2) circuits can be run from the existing panel using the correct sized breaker there.
----
If for some reason you instead want to install a sub panel somewhere closer to the kilns...then do that.

A 100 Amp sub panel fed from the main panel is fairly common project.
Use the correct sized wire and be sure to pull a ground as well as the neutral and (two) hots.

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Hook-up 2 Kilns

Quote:
I intend to hook both Kilns (44 amp, 22 amp) up myself. I plan on installing a 100 amp subpanel ~40' from the main circuit panel and ~10' from the kilns to handle both kilns and additional switches/ receptacles. I'm planning on installing 100 amp breaker in the main and use 3AWG to feed the subpanel. I also plan to install dedicated fusible disconnects between the sub-panel and each kiln. Is 6 AWG 60c adequate for the install of the 44 amp kiln (w/ 50 amp breaker) or should I move up to a 60 amp breaker and the same for the disconnect and 4 AWG for that Kiln?

Similarly, for the 22 amp kiln, is 30 amp breaker and 10 AWG adequate? If I used a 40 amp breaker and 40 amp disconnect, does that create the possibility of an overheating hazard with the kiln, since it would permit current to keep flowing in case of a problem with the kiln up to the larger amperage draw?

I would like opinions on the best/ safest way to install these hookups? Is a larger breaker and greater capacity wire a good thing in the case of kilns (since you minimize the risk of a shut-off during a firing, or do I want to size it closer to the amp rating of the kiln (+ 25% buffer)?

Thanks
The overcurrent protection for each kiln should be the first standard rating that is larger than the 1.25 times the kiln's current rating. For the 44A kiln, that's 60A. For the 22A, it's 30A. There's no need for fusible disconnects if the kiln's are right near the subpanel.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
Licensed Electrician

Hook-up 2 Kilns

Quote:
I intend to hook both Kilns (44 amp, 22 amp) up myself. I plan on installing a 100 amp subpanel ~40' from the main circuit panel and ~10' from the kilns to handle both kilns and additional switches/ receptacles. I'm planning on installing 100 amp breaker in the main and use 3AWG to feed the subpanel. #3 THHN (COPPER)

I also plan to install dedicated fusible disconnects between the sub-panel and each kiln. IF THE BREAKERS ARE WITHIN SIGHT OF THE KILN, DISCONNECTS ARE NOT NEEDED, THE BREAKERS WOULD BE YOUR DISCONNECT. BETWEEN FUSES AND THE DISCONNECTS, YOU WILL SAVE A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF MONEY.

Is 6 AWG 60c adequate for the install of the 44 amp kiln (w/ 50 amp breaker) or should I move up to a 60 amp breaker and the same for the disconnect and 4 AWG for that Kiln? #6 THHN (COPPER) ON A 2 POLE 60A BREAKER

Similarly, for the 22 amp kiln, is 30 amp breaker and 10 AWG adequate? If I used a 40 amp breaker and 40 amp disconnect, does that create the possibility of an overheating hazard with the kiln, since it would permit current to keep flowing in case of a problem with the kiln up to the larger amperage draw? #10 THHN (COPPER) ON A 2 POLE 30A BREAKER

Thanks
Answers in red
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote